"Build Your Own" Website tools, any good ?

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
Bagpuss
Organisation: Adam The Picture Framer
Interests: TBA

"Build Your Own" Website tools, any good ?

Post by Bagpuss »

I'm currently looking at re-vamping my "web page" to a proper website, I have spoken to a local web developer but because I'm doing the graphics myself and want to be more hands-on, I was considering using someone like 123-reg.co.uk or create.net so that I could use their online tools to build the website myself. They're quite advanced now and will even allow you to setup an online shop.

I could save myself alot of money but I was wondering if anyone has attempted anything like this before when setting up their website ?

Thanks,
Adam (Bagpuss)
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Re: "Build Your Own" Website tools, any good ?

Post by Jonny2morsos »

Have a look at www.mrsite.co.uk
Bagpuss

Post by Bagpuss »

Thanks, have you used this yourself ?
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

sites.google.com
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

Bagpuss wrote:Thanks, have you used this yourself ?
I have with mixed results. I think I tried to do too much with it like loading up all the mouldings I offered at the time only to find some got deleted and I needed to add others. :xcomputer:

Then I got a web designer to do me a four page site and upload it to the same site i.e not using one of their templates. So I get the site for £35 p.a. but i have to pay the web designer if I want changes made :(

I am, however, going to give it another go when I set up a new website for my wife's art work and then progress to revamping my own.

All my photographer customers use Clicpik http://www.clikpic.com/ but this seems to suit their needs better than our trade.
mikeysaling
Organisation: sarah jane framing
Interests: astronomy medals photography

Post by mikeysaling »

i'll throw in a little bit - years ago when i first got on the internet (tesco) i used their free webspace and used a product called aolpress - its not supported anymore by aol but is still available as a free download - its so easy to use - i still use it on my free tiscali space - does all i want - no fancy things but can change it any time i want dont pay for it never cost me a penny and we get a fair amount of business from it - have a look - i got more pages than anyone needs and im only using 10% of the space i get!!

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/medals/

your biggest prob is getting on the upper level of the google list? thats what you may have to pay for!

last year we bought (rent is a better word) but not expensive a domain name link so if you type in your browser

sjmedals.co.uk

or

sarahjanemedals.co.uk

it takes you to the tiscali site! so we can advertise just as sjmedals.co.uk
when all is said and done - there is more said than done.
mikeysaling

Post by mikeysaling »

sorry timed out while i was checking something - if you go into your browser soon just put in http://sjmedals.co.uk our last 'guest' was a mr ian stidson - i am currently framing the medals he referred to !! and will post a pic when i complete them - it works to get business. having clicked on the link look at the address you reached - its transparent to the customer so you do not need to buy expensive webspace!! just use a freebee and buy a domain link! just a thought for you
mikeysaling

Post by mikeysaling »

was just to late to edit my post - here is a link to get aolpress

http://www.daviestrek.com/software/aolpress/
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

If you want to be hands on with making/building a web site, then go to Amazon and get a book that tells you all about HTML and build your own.

My site is totally self built - www.merlinmounts.co.uk.
Yes it took 3 months to construct. It has then taken some 8 months playing with the 'keywords' to get it on page 1 of the search engines.

A long slow process but worth it in the end.
John GCF
Bagpuss

Post by Bagpuss »

Thanks for everyone's thoughts on this, much obliged :clap:
Part of me wants the "Rolls Royce" version I've got in my head and part of me wants to save some money and see what I can come up with myself. I've just looked at the "Mr Site" webpage and that seems to have some endorsements from a few small businesses that have had a publicity from shows such as "Dragons Den".
Any improvement on my current web page will be a good thing !
Watch this space ..... www.adamthepictureframer.co.uk

thanks again,
Adam
mikeysaling

Post by mikeysaling »

merlin your site is great ! a lot of work im thinking - but well worth the effort

as promised quick picture of our 'cheapo' site screen shot on 15 march - 8 days ago - this is a shot of our scrolling guestbook.
stidston2.jpg
stidston2.jpg (57.08 KiB) Viewed 17446 times
now the frame is ready to go
stidson1.jpg
stidson1.jpg (82.52 KiB) Viewed 17446 times
for infor medals are

top burma star france & germany star defence medal 1939/45 war medal

next british war medal victory medal defence medal special constabulary long service

normally we would follow dates for framing ie 1st ww first - customer requested this order.
David
Organisation: Silverstone Framing
Interests: Photography, Motor Racing, Military

Post by David »

Hi I used http://easily.co.uk to make my website www.eaglegallery.co.uk lots of page options but fairly basic functions. I found it quite easy to use although sorting and cleaning the photos took the longest time.

On their site you can have a play before you commit. I wanted to retain control for updates and additions and keep the costs down and it has done that at avery reasonable cost. I'm still adding to it so you build it up as you go along.

If you need any more info give me a call.

David.
Bagpuss

Post by Bagpuss »

Thanks for that David, I was admiring your Gallery the other week, very impressive :clap:
mikeysaling

Post by mikeysaling »

david - love your military gallery! brilliant - cavalry sword - wow - fantastic framing

mikey
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

Nice site David.

I was impressed by the design of your Australian Pink Floyd.
Grahame Case

Post by Grahame Case »

I use a package called Joomla to build our site : http://www.blackhallframinggallery.co.uk

very easy to pick up, and it is completely user configurable!
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

I use MrSitePro for my framing site, it's quick and easy to update, not very good for site boosting tools, :head: you can only have a small number of keywords, but I have managed to work round this, as they say you get what you pay for. For my online mount site http://www.frontierpicturemounts.com I used Microsoft Frontpage to build it, but I'm in the process of rebuilding it in Adobe Dreamweaver. And in the future my framing site will be designed and built in Dreamweaver
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
pinkybanks
Organisation: Home based framer
Interests: Keeping fit, framing, my children.

Post by pinkybanks »

Take a look at Moonfruit, its a Flash based programe with drag and drop. You can be up and running in about 2 hours. I know im doing everything on the cheap(or cheaper) and with having a demanding full time job to manage think its all i need atthis point.
Loads to choose from, some are better at SEO than Moonfruit, but its very easy to use.
aim2frame Stoke picture framing http://aim2frame.moonfruit.com/
Bagpuss

Post by Bagpuss »

Just a quick update for those who are interested, I spent some time looking at reviews of different DIY website building tools , Moonfruit was suggested, as was Mr Site, Web Eden and a dozen others :sweating:

I finally went for Joomla, it seems reasonably user friendly, perhaps a bit more technical than I'd like but having worked in IT for the last 15 years I felt a bit guilty about paying someone to do it for me. the good thing about it is I have quite a lot of control over it and don't have to pay anyone to change photos or text, I make a change and release it Live very quickly. I payed a web guy to setup a template and give me the bare bones of the site, I can then go in as Administrator and play around and get the feel of it

I've been working on it this week and am making a bit of progress but I've realised why I'm now in Picture Framing and not IT, I find myself playing around with photos and changing the font but have little actual content to show for a weeks work :Slap:
Note to self... stop faffing about and pull your finger out next week.

cheers
Adam
Tim
Organisation: Deepwell Framing
Interests: Photography, Growing it, Cooking it, Eating it. Sauvignon Blanc. Syrah.

Post by Tim »

I considered building my own website, but having been involved on the periphery of commercial web building services for many years when I was gainfully employed, I was aware that being on the first page of a Google search can make the difference between generating new custom using your site, or just providing a convenient point of reference for existing customers. When I talked to knowledgeable folk about SEO (Search Engine Optimization), it became clear that the costs of maintaining a first page position are ongoing, either in time (my own) or money (getting a professional to do it), and that eventually this would far outweigh the cost of having the original site developed. For that reason, I opted to have a professional marketing/web development company do the work, and I have to say their ideas have impressed me enormously.

Should be another couple of weeks before I can post a proper link, as we're putting the finishing touches to the first release right now. Eventually (Phase 2) we intend to add a 'design it yourself' frame e-commerce site, with a database of moulding and mountboards that can be visualised on screen, and the order placed directly. We'll be undertaking to keep the databases up to date, so if anyone's interested in possibly licensing the application (it'll be a simple add-on to your existing site), then drop me a line and I'll add you to the list.

Apologies for the sales talk there - hope no-one minds :)
Youth and experience are no match for age and treachery...