Hung Parliament - I've been thinking....

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
Tim
Organisation: Deepwell Framing
Interests: Photography, Growing it, Cooking it, Eating it. Sauvignon Blanc. Syrah.

Hung Parliament - I've been thinking....

Post by Tim »

Hung Parliaments in the UK have a habit, even if limited by reason of infrequency, of ensuring that one of their most likely attributes is an inability to impose anything untoward upon the populace. For the last 36 hours I've been thinking about this, and I've come to the conclusion that for this financial year at least, it's likely to mean a reprieve to small businesses like ourselves. There's just no way that any party is going to be able to impose any form of draconian tax rise at the moment, because the other parties, anxious to keep up appearances, (after all - we're now just in an extended pre-election campaign) will not want to be allied with anything that could jeopardise their future chances in the upcoming PR or STV election.

My only concern is that it might happen as soon as October, but my hope is that we may get a 'free year'.

Anyone else concur?
Youth and experience are no match for age and treachery...
mikeysaling
Organisation: sarah jane framing
Interests: astronomy medals photography

Re: Hung Parliament - I've been thinking....

Post by mikeysaling »

good thinking batman!! sounds like good thinking. now we need to put it to our advantage.
when all is said and done - there is more said than done.
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

Tim wrote: There's just no way that any party is going to be able to impose any form of draconian tax rise at the moment,
If someone in the UK doesn't take responsibility for fiscal affairs soon the IMF will be in there and in comparison it will seem like Maggie Thatcher was throwing a big party.

The UK's finances are in virtually if not a worse condition than Greece and the UK doesn't have the rest of the EU to bail it out, the only fall back the UK has is the IMF.

Putting off a correction in financial conditions now will only make things much worse.
David
Organisation: Silverstone Framing
Interests: Photography, Motor Racing, Military

Post by David »

I think you are right but it's just putting off the inevitable, the predictions seem to be October or next Spring with who ever's running the show going for a rerun as soon as they're ahead in the polls, so they are going to be nice to make that happen, smiling and showing us how good they are before the knife goes in. If we ran our businesses like they run the Country...........