Attaching a canvas to a frame

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
sallyb

Attaching a canvas to a frame

Post by sallyb »

Hi all,

Just have a little question which i'm sure has a really obvious answer but rather than me taking ages to figure it out i thought i'd ask you all for advice!

I'm wanting to frame one of my own boxed canvas paintings with a deep moulding surround which gives the appearance of the canvas sitting in a box with no glass front on - hope this makes sense ! Its quite a modern look which i've seen done before but haven't tried myself yet. I've already bought the moulding which has an L-shaped profile and when made up will be bigger than the canvas leaving about a 1 inch gap all the way around.

What i'm struggling with is how to attach the boxed canvas to the frame and finish the back properly, obviously there will be a big gap in the back of the moulding when its made so how do i attach the canvas? Any ideas anyone?

Thanks
Sal :)
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Screw through the back of the 'L' shaped frame into the stretcher bars.

There is no need to finish (cover) the back, why should you if the front is open?
sallyb

Post by sallyb »

Thanks thats what i had in mind, just wanted to check there wasn't another way first before going ahead. Was planning on finishing the back just to make it a neatly finished piece, I know it wouldn't have any benefit other than to make the finished article look good.

Thanks again

Sal
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

As John says, there is no real need to finish the back. Yet, it does look a bit more 'professional' if you do.

We use fairly heavy gauge brown parcel (type) of paper. Run a bead of PVA around the back of the frame and stick the brown paper down onto this, making sure that all the wrinkles are flattened out. When this is dry, very lightly sponge the paper with water. You will find initially that you will get some 'sag' in the paper. Leave this to dry naturally and you will get a taut 'dust cover' for the back of the picture.

One problem though, is that it is so easy to put your finger(s) through it.
John GCF
mick11

Post by mick11 »

Merlin Framers wrote: One problem though, is that it is so easy to put your finger(s) through it.
Saw loads like that the last time I visited the states, where they back everything. Looks real tacky with a hole in the back from a careless customers fingers. :D
Mick
-----------------------------------------
The impossible I can do today,
Miracles take a little longer
---------------------------------------