Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
emeraldart
Organisation: Cork
Interests: Sailing, Cycling, Hill walking

how to frame this

Post by emeraldart »

This is one of my own paintings. Its Approx 26" x16" on stretched canvas. Im finding it difficult to find suitable frame colours to compliment it. At present it has a teal colour wide scoop with a gold outer but not convinced its the best frame for it. I had a white scoop but that was too bright. Any ideas would greatly be appreciated. I may take a photo of it framed to explain better. Here is a pic of it unframed.
stag resize.jpg
stag resize.jpg (131.75 KiB) Viewed 5765 times
prospero

Re: how to frame this

Post by prospero »

Once upon a time, that painting would have sat nicely in a nice ornate swept pattern fame. But they don't always look right in the typical modern home. I'm thinking a sort of neo-classical profile. Quite generous, maybe 3 1/2"-4" wide. Soft gilt with maybe a flat slightly brighter flat liner. Of course there are 1000 ways of doing it and they will all be right.

Nice work btw. If I was going to be picky, I might say work on the water a bit. And maybe pay a bit of attention to the ariel perspective :wink: Can't fault the deer.

......More Picky. Compositionwise, The relationshion between the antlers and the island....... :? You can move things about. It's Artist's Licence. I've got 9 points on mine. :oops:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
emeraldart

Post by emeraldart »

Thanks prospero. Ive taken the suggestions on board with regard perspective and composition. There are always some areas to improve. Good to get an objective second opinion.
Here are two more photos of the present frame. Not sure it works. And not sure whats wrong. The gold is a silvery gold which refletcs like a mirror. Any more suggestions.
stagframe1.jpg
stagframe1.jpg (122.73 KiB) Viewed 5682 times
stagframe2.jpg
stagframe2.jpg (128.38 KiB) Viewed 5682 times
prospero

Post by prospero »

Sorry. Have to say it. That looks absolutely terrible to me. If you had to mix up one colour that was guaranteed to kill the painting, you found it.

Just my personal opinion of course. Feel free to tell me to shaddup. :D
emeraldart

Post by emeraldart »

It looks worse in the photo. I know its not working. I might have a try at the neo classical look. If I was afraid of constructive feedback I wouldnt have put it on here in the first place. Im here to learn and share. Thanks again. No doubt ill post a reframed version soon.
fusionframer
Organisation: Fusion Picture Framing
Interests: framing

Post by fusionframer »

Hi there,

Very nice painting. Have you tried a bronzed frame? As an example Lion do a 70mm "puccini" Matt Bronze frame part number "L1586"

Link is:

http://www.lionpic.co.uk/catalog/Puccin ... rt=1&dir=0

I recently framed an oil painting of a similar landscape and it worked really well. I am relatively new to framing, so may be completely wrong, but have framed a few recently in a bronze frame and I think they work well.

Cheers

Nick
www.fusionframing.co.uk

Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.
birdman
Organisation: Pelican Picture Framing
Interests: Getting up close and personal with Val

Post by birdman »

I just did this quickly as an example and I apologise for darkening down your lovely painting but a lighter colour for the inner frame seems to work much better.
stag-frame copy.jpg
stag-frame copy.jpg (35.9 KiB) Viewed 5648 times
Rolf Lawson GCF
“I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order.” Eric Morecambe
My status
easypopsgcf
Organisation: home
Interests: cars

Post by easypopsgcf »

I'd be looking to change it completely. In my opinion you have things the wrong way round, the slip should be smaller and the outer frame larger, and the colours just dont suit it.
I would have a combination similar to these......i'm not saying these are the correct choice but i hope you get the idea of what i'd do.
Attachments
Slip
Slip
slip.jpg (1.75 KiB) Viewed 5643 times
Outer frame
Outer frame
gold.jpg (22.73 KiB) Viewed 5643 times
Gesso&Bole
Organisation: Jeremy Anderson Picture Frame Maker
Interests: Framing pictures, testing out the latest gismos, and sharing picture framing knowledge

Post by Gesso&Bole »

Difficult to say exactly from the tiny picture on my screen, but I would suggest.

Outer frame to be darker, and preferably bigger - perhaps a copper tone, or a brown that would work with the mountains, and the inner colour lighter and more neutral, perhaps one of the lighter tones from the sky or the rocks in the foreground.

Do post the end result!
Jeremy (Jim) Anderson
Picture Framer and Framing Industry Educator
https://www.jeremyanderson.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/ja_picture_framer/
framemaker

Post by framemaker »

My first thought was suggested by Rolf, make the scoop slip a much more neutral colour, I would probably pick the lightest colour in the central mountain, and a darker/softer gold outer frame.
I think your painting could be framed equally well in a traditional or contemporary choice of frame. Personally I would prefer a more contemporary look, something similar, but slightly different to the current frame.

Here's a photo of a more traditional, but slightly OTT frame, I think the slip is to wide, but anyway it is a neo classical fluted frame and another idea. Sorry I can't work out how to put your photo into this frame like Rolf did!
Attachments
framey.jpg
framey.jpg (24.06 KiB) Viewed 5630 times
Keadyart
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Art,Photography,Horse racing,my Irish terrier Tara

Post by Keadyart »

experiment
Attachments
framey.jpg
framey.jpg (62.05 KiB) Viewed 5622 times
Nigel Nobody

Post by Nigel Nobody »

My two bobs worth:
The blue slip is not appropriate for this picture. Actually I can't imagine that colour would work on any art as a slip.
The green one is slightly better, but not much. Both those colours are dominant.
The goldish mottly slip might work.
I reckon a slip in a similar colour to the distant hills in the centre would be OK. Fabric wrapped perhaps.
I reckon the outer frame should either be a walnut wood colour or an ornate antique looking gold moulding.
birdman
Organisation: Pelican Picture Framing
Interests: Getting up close and personal with Val

Post by birdman »

Keadyart wrote:experiment
Looks like you have Photoshop or something similar. This means you can play around with your proposed colours and designs without ever making a frame. If you have visualisation software, like PreView, it would be even easier.
Rolf Lawson GCF
“I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order.” Eric Morecambe
My status
prospero

Post by prospero »

Bugger. Don't fit. :(

stcstc

Post by stcstc »

Ah dude you measured it wrong

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
prospero

Post by prospero »

Nice one Stephen.

That frame actually has a greeny-blue outer. With a bit of twitching it wouldn't be far off. Same pattern in alover soft gilt with a grey wash would be my preference.

Prob is, there just aren't many factory finished mouldings to choose from when you get to that size. If at all. :(

btw. HTF did you get it to display of the forum that size?
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

i hosted it on my website and embedded it using the img tags
prospero

Post by prospero »

Yes.... But I thought the limit was 400 pixels wide. :?
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

well yours was 800 which i copied to do it, and didnt change the size
prospero

Post by prospero »

yeah but, no but...... The one I posted was 400 wide but it was linked to a bigger version......... oh never mind. :lol: