Parchment framing Question

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
Garnel

Parchment framing Question

Post by Garnel »

Dear All

I have been asked to frame a parchment scroll, someone bought in Eygpt. What is the best way to bond to a backing board?
Anyother suggestions very welcomed.

Many Thanks

Gary
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Is this a papyrus?

Although not (usually) of any value at all - I would not 'bond' this - if what you mean is stick the whole thing down. This gives what I call an 'embalmed' look - unnatural. They look better with the odd bit of undulation.

I would float mount it with many 'V' or 'S' hinges - not self adhesive but gummed, such as Hakayu. Place these hinges under painted areas, otherwise they may show through the fibres.

These things look good on suedette mountboards - no window mount but a spacer such as econospace from Lion.
osgood

Papyrus

Post by osgood »

This is a papyrus I did recently. Black mats with a gold accent look great on a lot of them, but this one needed blue. The blue is a little less bright in reality.

Sometimes the top mat is a different colour to the one that the papyrus is mounted on, but mostly the same colour with an accent colour under the edge of the top mat. I use a foamboard spacer under the top mat to give extra space and more depth. Hinged with Hyaku gummed tape or starch paste and Jap paper hinges.
markw

Post by markw »

Parchment is made from animal skin - it has a tendency to expand and contract a fair bit and you have to make sure you take this into account when attaching to a board - with scrolls you could use clear mylor corners or a ribbon going across the corners could work. in my experience very little stays stuck to parchment so the option of not sticking always seems to be the best one.