Frame Clamp

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Frame Clamp

Post by John »

I want to replace my old and worn frame clamp. It is the one with the plastic strap. It has lost its grip and no longer applies enough pressure, though it was never all that great to begin with.

The replacement should not only have a strong clamping action, but also should not be too fiddly to use.

Any recommendations?
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

What size are you looking for John?

I use one from AXMINSTER TOOLS that is basicaly an 'X' shape with the adjuster in the middle. There are plastic clips on each leg that are adjustable via a series of holes.

The other one I use is a metal band clamp from LIONS, this will work up to a 12" x 16" and very good
John GCF
osgood

Strap Clamp

Post by osgood »

The one I recommend is available at Axminster at:
http://www.axminster.co.uk/pricing/INC/ ... -23538.htm
It is a "Steel Band Frame Clamp" and can be used on frames up to 3 feet square.

I have about 10 of these and have recently bought a roll of steel strapping so that I can make them do any size I want.
They are excellent and enable an enormous amount of pressure to be exerted by screwing the threaded handle.
I have had them for 20 years now and the only issue I have had is that the metal case that holds all the excess strapping falls to bits, so I have discarded them all.
mick11

Post by mick11 »

I have the frameco one as sold by Lions. Nice piece of kit.
I have tried a number of the cheap imitations and they are next to useless.
I have not tried the Axminster one which looks similar, so cannot comment on it.
Mick
-----------------------------------------
The impossible I can do today,
Miracles take a little longer
---------------------------------------
osgood

Frameco

Post by osgood »

Personally I would not support any business that endeavours to take work away from professional framers and that is what Frameco does. It is in the business of supplying DIY people. As you probably realise, most DIY people don't have a lot knowledge of what's right and wrong in framing and a lot of them are taking business away from professional framers by framing stuff for friends, family and others. Some of them will set up a home based business to compete with you!

I don't understand why any professional framer would want to support a business that is doing it's best to take income away from them.

This company was started by an Aussie guy, Gary Leete, (that's his picture on the website) who was in the framing industry supply business, but sold his company then started this one to supply DIY.

Check out the website and see that they offer free lessons and help on how to turn your hobby into "The perfect home based business": http://www.frameco-online.com/

The frame clamp I use has metal corners, not plastic, so I am guessing that it will take much more pressure.
markw

Post by markw »

Osgood - completly agree with you - I often get asked if I sell mountboard or moulding - my answer is always a very decisive no - I sell picture frames. Its always a bit of an issue on this site - do you give advice to the hobby framer?
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Off topic here, but on a question I cannot resist!

NO!

Do I hec as like sell moulding by the foot etc.

You can forgive people for asking because there are plenty that do/will.

It's the ones that give me a hard time that I just love...

"I've travellled all the way from ......... WHY can't you just sell me this and that"

I take them to the door, point to our fish & chip shop and say - "Go in there and ask them for 5lb of King Edwards"

Or better still - TAKE them 5lb of King Edwards and a few pound of haddock and ask them to turn them into a few fish suppers for you!

'Picture Framer' is pretty self-explanatory really. You ain't got the first word, I can't do the second word to it!
Framing Norah

Post by Framing Norah »

Let's not be silly.

Can anyone imagine professionals denouncing Black & Decker for also selling power tools to hobbyists? Ridiculous!

Perhaps our local chippy owner is more clued up than those from Sussex, but he would be happy to sell his King Edwards to the public till the cows come home, for a 200% markup, even throw in a bit of advice on how to peel them. And would be more than delighted to sell them a fish supper using the customer's own haddock, at full price less the wholesale price of the fish.
FN
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I have a competitor - well - not really 17 miles away - just advertises on the same radio station as me.

Not only does he sell framing materials - he lets customers make their own frames, under supervision, in his workshop. They love it, he does really well, they don't pay any less.

It's just horses for courses, it's something that does not suit me or anything I need to do. In fact it's also one of many things that I don't do because others do.

Norah, I put my scenario to my chip shop owner/friend - he said he'd take the customer's spuds and haddock, keep the spuds, give the haddock to the cat, knock him up his fish suppers using his own fish and charge him extra because he would have to get out his peeler thingy, which is cleaned and put away for next day, and re-clean it.

That's if he just didn't just keel over laughing.
Framing Norah

Post by Framing Norah »

What a coincidence, it turns out that we must know the same chip shop owner Robo, surely it is the same guy. :)

I was talking to him just last night and he was telling me that there is this framer on his street who is forever dragging people to the door of his shop, jabbing an accusatory finger toward the chippie and then proceeding to have an animated conversation with the poor cornered wretch who remains helplessly rooted to the spot like the proverbial rabbit in the headlights.

The poor chippy chap is at his wit's end, being pointed at in this fashion day and daily is getting him down and making him paranoid. He feels that his only recourse is to seek a restraining order, or perhaps an ASBO.

On the plus side though, for some strange reason, people keep bringing him haddock and King Edwards. :)
FN
markw

Post by markw »

LOL :lol: