Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Max Roberts
Organisation: Headrow Gallery, Leeds
Interests: Business, Music of all genres, art, aviation & travel

Framers Forum Live

Post by Max Roberts »

Just a big thanks to the organisers of todays Framers Forum Live event. Good location and hospitality, many friends and colleagues present and some excellent networking. I enjoyed Jim Anderson's pricing seminar and the opportunity to talk to many of the visiting framers about the FATG was much appreciated. It made getting up at 4am (damn alarm clocks) and returning home at 9pm all worthwhile!!
artyfarty
Organisation: xxx
Interests: Life

Framers forum show at Stratford upon Avon

Post by artyfarty »

I went to the show yesterday and would just like to thank all those who worked so hard in organizing the event.

As a rookie in the industry, it is clear to me that a focused trade show is desperately needed.
It seemed to me that the suppliers to this industry have let their customers down by not supporting this fledgling event.
When I go to a trade show I want to be able to see everything there; tools,fixings,mouldings,tape, boards, paints ,papers.............everything associated with the trade.

The seminars were excellent and I thank all those who made the effort to do them.

I would urge all on this forum to express their desire to see their suppliers at a central trade show; make them get of their arses and make an effort for their customers.

Thanks again to all thse who made the effort at Stratford.
REM
Organisation: Image Saved
Interests: Natural world, Hill walking, Photography, Photoshop, Rock & Folk music.

Framers Forum Live 2011

Post by REM »

I attended the show yesterday and would like to thank and congratulate everyone involved for their efforts in putting this fine show on for us.
I enjoyed, and am feeling quite inspired by all the seminars. My particular favourites were the demonstration on Gilding by Richard Christie, wonderful to see a true craftsman at work, and Jim Andersons talks which will definitely make me rethink quite a few of my approaches to Framing. My favourite moment was Jim's reply to someone asking him his thoughts on their accountant telling them they had too many moulding samples out, and that they should limit this to 40. Nice one Jim !
Also gained some more much needed information off the trade stands.

Once again thankyou all very much

Ross Murray
misterdiy
Organisation: Decormount
Interests: Picture framing, mount-cutting, photoshop et al

Re: Framers Forum Live

Post by misterdiy »

I second that. It was my first Forum event and it was northing short of a wonderful experience. Our heartfelt thanks to the organisers and of course Grahame for the technology, for putting on a terrfic event. The seminars were excellent

I am told that turnout was excellent and many more than last year, complimented by nearly all the big names in the Framing industry. The hotel was fabulous and as Mrs Decormount commented to the receptionist - its nice not to have to make a complaint :lipssealed: which is really good (and very unusual) believe me. Food was excellent - top quality.

I am looking forward to 2012.

Well done

Steve
mikeysaling
Organisation: sarah jane framing
Interests: astronomy medals photography

Post by mikeysaling »

further to above - as i couldn't get there - watching the live stream was great (almost like being there) thanks grahame a great job. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
when all is said and done - there is more said than done.
Grahame Case

Post by Grahame Case »

On my mobile so keeping this brief. Merged three separate topics together to create this one feedback thread. Will post my thoughts when we reach home

G
KraftKool
Organisation: Let you know when I get one
Interests: Painting waterclours,acrylics, pastels, oils. Cross stitch. Gardening. Reading this forum and framing books

Post by KraftKool »

It was my first Forum event and both me and 'he who thinks he should be obeyed' enjoyed it imensely. It was evident that a lot of people worked very hard to put all this together and a big thank you to you all :clap: :clap: :clap:

All the seminars were excellent and it was good to have the two practical demos as well. The venue was also excellent too with the hotel staff keeping the coffee, cookies and cakes going all day long.

I hope the trade stands did well on the day and that it will encourage more companies to attend next year. After all, who would want to miss out on what could be the best event of the framing year. A lot more enjoyable experience than the NEC

As a new framer these type of events are vital for the development of new businesses. I came away feeling like a saturated sponge, all I have to do now is wring all the info out and put it to good use. :D

Thank you all
Dave

Post by Dave »

Just seconding most of what has already been said.

Very well run event, went to a couple of the seminars, both very interesting and raised some thought provoking issues.

Good to see what is new with the suppliers, second the thought that an industry specific event is needed. I get too distracted by all the pretty things at the NEC and it takes too long to cover the ground to see the few stands you are really interested in. From the suppliers point of view, it must be good to have a specific audience for your product rather than a footfall in the tens of thousands with only a small percentage truly interested in your product?

For the benefit of the suppliers in attendance we have made the decision to buy a CMC in the near future as a result of this event.

I've never been one for corporate conference venues, but Stratford Manor is an excellent choice, couldn't fault it.

Many thanks to the organisers, it is obvious that a lot of people gave up spare timeto organise this event.

Dave
vitalframer
Organisation: Vital Framing
Interests: Woodwork, Photography, Travel, Technology

Post by vitalframer »

As a rookie trhis was my first event and I enjoyed it a lot. Jim's seminars were very worth while attending and it was good to talk to the stands although I am not in the big boys toys league yet. Very well organised and high praise to all involved in the orginisation of what I hope will be an annual event.

Bob
"I started with nothing and still have most if left!"
philipsheldon
Organisation: Ashworth & Thompson Ltd
Interests: JUDO / NFFC / CRICKET / REAL ALE ...oh, and Life in general.

Framers Forum No.2

Post by philipsheldon »

:D Afternoon

:sweating: What a busy old day yesterday was ! PHEW !!

To the organisers of FF. No. 2, thank you. It was VERY enjoybale day & I can honestly say that we came away with a great deal to be positive about. We saw a lot of people, both existing account holders & those new to the trade & all of them carried a very refreshing level of enthusiasm. The " buzz " that people came in with seemed to charge the very air we all breathed ! Electric !

It was nice to meet people in this informal way, and I think that we all benefitted from that - us & the customer. Time was more freely spent & I think that the possibility of on going relationships helped immensly in this environment.

Last year was good but this year was better. All of you that organised the show did an excellent job. An event " For the Framers' by the Framers ". A complete success.

I hope those of you that stayed for the evening social had a good time. I would have love to have stayed for that, but being plucked out of bed at 4am ( new money, 3am OLD money ), I was tired ! I was ! Honest. But it was all worth the effort wasn't it.

In all honesty, for me, it had the best " feel " of any show that I have attended previously......and that comes down to the confidence one has in the knowledge of how well organised the show was. In Football terms, it was like knowing the great Peter Shilton was behind you, just in case you made a slip up.

So to all the Shiltons on the FF - Merlin, MarkW, Graham JGF No. 1 & THE REST !!!
thanks for the invite & for making it a great show.

Now...what's the deal on FF 3 then ?

Phil.
There's nothing I can do if it don't get through, blame it on the Pony Express !
There's nothing I can say if it's gone a stray, blame it on the Pony Express !
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

I couldn't make it in the end, something cropped up, but I kept dipping into the live stream, well done Grahame a grand job :clap: really sorry to have missed it :head:
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
ShaggyDog
Organisation: FrameDog
Interests: Music, photography, where the cat is going to sleep next.

Post by ShaggyDog »

I can only agree with what has been said here, a great time was had by Carole and I, and Carole enjoyed having a go at the guilding. It was good to see that at least the Wessex boys stayed for the evening do, and we had an interesting chat to John, his wife Susan and Chris then and got both useful information and good stories.

We are looking forward to next year, and thank the organisers for a well organised, well presented and cheerful event.

Simon
YPF
Organisation: Your Picture Framer
Interests: Dog agility with my 2 cocker cross spaniels and a bit of woodturning. Recently taken up the ukulele!

Post by YPF »

Just to echo all the above sentiments . I had a great day and would like to thank everybody involved; the organisers, the speakers, the trade representatives and the framers. Happy to put my hand up if any help is needed for a future event.

Steve
Steve
Chief Coffee Drinker
http://www.yourpictureframer.co.uk
Framerpicture
Organisation: Picture Framing
Interests: Mountain Biking, Walking,

Post by Framerpicture »

Well done to all concerned that was an excellent Show,in an excellent venue, just what this industry needs -
Although I didn't get to see them all the seminars the ones I saw were excellent, just hoping i can get to see the ones i missed on YouTube?
It was also good to get the chance to speak to suppliers some old and some new!

If i could make one request for next year - Could we avoid the day the clocks go forward!

Thanks again

Will
http://www.churchgategallery.co.uk/
Follow us on Twitter@PorlockArt
Grahame Case

Post by Grahame Case »

I'm Back in Edinburgh,

firstly, many thanks to all of you who attended. A brilliant day! and a big thank you to Jolly good Framer for organising everything!

will sort the videos over the coming days
Mary Case GCF

Post by Mary Case GCF »

Hi All.
I'm Grahame's Mum, so I'm home too. Just want to echo what everyone else who was at the event has said. We were the only framers who, dare I say it, bothered to come from Scotland. It was a long way to come, but worth every mile there and back. As last year, John and Trish (JGF#1 and Mrs JGF#1) pulled a blinder with the organisation of the event. It was great to be able to talk to suppliers in an informal environment where there was no pressure to buy and no miles to walk between halls to find the people you really wanted to speak to. Unfortunately I didn't manage to any of the seminars for various reasons I won't bore you with, but look forward to watching them on You Tube, when Grahame gets them uploaded. I believe they all went down a storm. It was lovely also to meet up with fellow framers, as that was, after all , the whole point of the event, and to chat with old friends and new friends. The meal was wonderful, the hotel as ever was amazing and faultless. Shame I didn't get a chance to use the pool!! The only problem I have had this weekend is a lack of sleep. Last night a very interesting discussion was still going on at midnight or 1 o'clock, not sure which, in the bar, which meant I slept in and missed saying goodbye for another year to some of the framers and partners I have grown very fond of over the years. I even outlasted Grahame last night! Look forward to seeing everyone again next year with a bigger representation from the suppliers, including those who must be kicking themselves for missing out this year! Hope also that more framers who registered to come turn up next year. The ones that didn't missed out on a great event. And a call out to Scottish Framers- get off your backsides and come to what is the only event you'll go to that is organised for framers by framers. Ireland was better represented than Scotland. You should be ashamed!!
shiltonphoto
Organisation: ShiltonPhoto
Interests: Framing, Landscape Photography, Football, sports etc...

Post by shiltonphoto »

Sadly missed this years even't but would love to attend in the future. The seminars would probably be the most valuable for me, being a rookie, but would love it all the same.

So, what are the plans set out for next year then? :giggle:
Bagpuss
Organisation: Adam The Picture Framer
Interests: TBA

Post by Bagpuss »

Boy was I knackered today but it was worth it :clap: To all involved in organizing the event for all of us, a big Thank you, they weren't geting paid for it,
pretty amazing really.

I thought the seminars were all great, better than those at the NEC in my opinion, the only problem was I ended up sitting through all of them and didn't get a chance to stroll round the Suppliers, in fact my blood sugar took a nose dive during Mal's seminar and I had to sneak out for a sneaky ham sandwich, sorry about that Mal ...

I thought it was an excellent turn out by the Suppliers, I certainly wasn't expecting them to put on a show like the Spring Fair, it was great to see they all made the effort.

It was great to see you all, next year I'll definitely be staying over, I could have murdered a pint of Guinness :D

Adam/Bagpuss
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )
phil-h
Organisation: The Warbreck Gallery
Interests: Digital image repairs, image retouching and, erm, picture framing! :)

Post by phil-h »

I'd just like to add our thanks to the well-deserved accolades showered above. As rookies to the framing business, myself and my colleague were a little apprehensive at what we would find, this being our first interaction with picture framers and associated suppliers.

We went away brimming with new-found knowledge from the seminars tlaks and demonstrations, and an awareness that the framing business is indeed a friendly industry to work in; Something which doesn't occur in every walk of life, let me assure you!

So a big thanks to everyone involved in organising the event, to the speakers, demonstrators and exhibitors who gave their time freely so the rest of us could benefit, and to our fellow framers for the warm welcomes we received as we stood around like lost souls! Well worth the drive down from sunny Liverpool, and we eagerly anticipate attending the next one!

Many thanks to all who attended,
Phil-h
www.warbreckgallery.co.uk
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

Following on from the points made by Mary;
Yes the show was a huge success, as the accolades above show.
However, Disappointment at the number of 'No Shows'.

There were over 200 tickets requested yet only 108 actually turned up ! :( 54%

We do understand that major and at times unexpected changes do happen to our private and business life, so we did account for a number (small) of 'No shows'.

However, this was a show run by framers for framers and because of the interest shown, we decided to ask the Hotel to open the Conference Coffee Bar. This cost us £10 per head - Up Front. You can work the Maths out yourselves and see that the No Shows cost us money.

Having said all that, next year will be bigger and better building on the success we have just had.
John GCF