offcut storage

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
foxyframer
Organisation: Hampshire Framing
Interests: Golf, DIY and baking bread,cakes, biscuits and making chilli jams and various chutneys.

offcut storage

Post by foxyframer »

Some of you may well have come up with this idea already.
We all get loads of empty poster tubes. Any of them with a dia. of 4" or more make great storage for moulding offcuts. Tie a few together to prevent falling over and stack vertically. Moulding is always less liable to twist and bow if stacked upright.
We only store metals in overhead horizontal racks.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

If I had one complaint about my workshop - or the whole premises actually, it is that it is only 8' high and I have to store 80% of my mouldings horizontally.

We can't do anything about 80% of the place - there is a flat and offices above it, but the workshop stands alone and has a false ceiling. We could take this out, but then all the height would be in the centre, but if we stored moulding at one end only it would probably be great.

One of the things we overlooked when we moved in, and now, to rectify it would mean stopping the 'operation' and causing a huge backlog.

My offcuts are stored, vertically, in two large drums, but these days I am getting more and more mercenary with them, as, usually what happens to them is this - we have a mad day or two making them into cheap non-standard-sized frames, with or without backing and glass.

On the odd occasion when we need offcuts to complete a job, we get frustrated with damage and/or the offcut not matching the next batch, plus having to search through the damned offcut buckets because we know it's there somewhere!

Having said that, we know which mouldings are CONSISTENT and they have a special place!
markw

Post by markw »

Chop service = no offcuts. I am still burning the offcuts I had from years ago. Nothing is more frustrating than having nearly enough moulding offcut to make up a frame - second most frustrating - enough moulding - profiles dont quite match.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Offcuts. Recently, I've tried to make moulding offcuts into frames as I produce them, while the morso and underpinner are still set for that moulding.

I decide what to do with them later, which can be putting them in the window, offering them to local artists, etc., or selling them in job lots at an auction in Exeter, 15 miles away (safe distance).

I've often wondered, if I would be better off, if I just put them in the rubbish bin. Glass and backing board is a similar problem. With the new fire regulations I'm considering keeping far less offcuts, etc.
Cheers,
Mark
foxyframer
Interests: Golf, DIY and baking bread,cakes, biscuits and making chilli jams and various chutneys.

offcut storage

Post by foxyframer »

Our poster tubes house moulding of the same family, eg: small blacks in one; small golds in another; pines in one or two; etc. Anything under 1.5m down to useable length. All in front of stock lengths so easily sourced without wasting time and moulding. We always pick from the offcuts first (about 50 tubes at present). Dead easy to go for a length first; trouble is, offcuts accumulate and go out of date or batch.
Along with everyone else we have a good clearout now and again - had one last weekend. Must have the most expensive kindlin' store in the area.
Measure twice - cut once
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

If you are using off cuts for fires or kindling, be careful of the emissions from lacquered moulding it is possible carcinogenic
foxyframer

Post by foxyframer »

Very true Dermot. Not a good idea to burn certain finishes, so these are avoided. Thanks for bringing it up anyway.
Measure twice - cut once
markw

Post by markw »

Burning anything when you are in direct contact with the fumes is foolish - but your comments are valid in terms of being environmentally sensetive.

In a world where the impact of any potential threat should be considered - should we consider the potential effect of burning picture frames in a house fire? Composite frames burn very fiercly and produce thick black acrid smoke.
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

markw wrote:Burning anything when you are in direct contact with the fumes is foolish - but your comments are valid in terms of being environmentally sensetive.

In a world where the impact of any potential threat should be considered - should we consider the potential effect of burning picture frames in a house fire? Composite frames burn very fiercly and produce thick black acrid smoke.
Emafyl makes a great firelighter :oops: some would say thats all its good for 8)
in our old house we had two (by coincidence Morso) multifuel burners and entire winter heating and water heating was provided by workshop offcuts and the morso chippings!