Thanks for the Help

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
Jayvee
Organisation: Framed By John
Interests: Framing, Football, Cricket, Movies

Thanks for the Help

Post by Jayvee »

Hi Guys, been meaning to put this up for a while!!

Just a quick thanks to the forum really for being a fountain of knowledge.

Had these in a while back didn't have a clue what to do with them, found the forum and then the cove box designer...

Ended up with this, customer loved it!! Took forever to do, first time working with cove boxes and I had to have three at different depths (ugh) eventually it came out ok!

Anyways.....Cheers again guys!
Attachments
ironmanpost.jpg
ironmanpost.jpg (69.3 KiB) Viewed 9055 times
Roboframer

Re: Thanks for the Help

Post by Roboframer »

Respect!

If someone brought something like that in to copy I'd attempt to scare them off with a silly price!

How are the coved mounts fixed to the top mount and do you have a CMC or were they done by hand?
Jayvee

Post by Jayvee »

I would love a CMC...on the top of my wish list! :D However don't think we can justify the cost of one! Unless anyone has one cheap?? :D

Everything was cut by hand with a Logan 2000, in tandem with a Keencut straight edge and a Logan compact...

Fixed to top mount with flaps/glue/PH-770...

Due to weights of the helmet/toys etc and also the sizes, used some moulding as struts on the inside to help support them.

Have done another one for the same customer. Was for his military medals and an 'Action Man'. Same techniques...will see if I can find a pic somewhere!!

He has a 'golden snitch' in at the moment given to him by Ron ' Rupert Grint' Weasley, with a few other things. So that should be interesting! :D

Ah ha...found it... Photo isn't great as the camera decided to play up, and also the mount is cut straight.... just had to stretch and skew it in photoshop in order to make it look as though you are looking 'straight on'.

Cheers again guys!! :D
Attachments
paulmedals.jpg
paulmedals.jpg (162.74 KiB) Viewed 9021 times
mikeysaling
Organisation: sarah jane framing
Interests: astronomy medals photography

Post by mikeysaling »

brilliant - you do great work! hope you charged to reflect the time - including the thinking/planning time which for these types of job can be considerable. :clap: :clap: :clap:
when all is said and done - there is more said than done.
Jayvee

Post by Jayvee »

Haha....not charging enough!! :D Nowhere near enough! :D

Cheers for the love guys! :D
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

As Roboframer said Respect :yes:
If you have cut the mounts with a Logan and straightedge, you should be very pleased with yourself, I know I would be and thanks for sharing.

Again well done

Steve
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

You did all that with a hand held Logan - I am seriously impressed.

As others have said, RESPECT!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Jayvee

Post by Jayvee »

I've only ever used a handheld logan....suppose practice makes you better?! Done some biggish multi aperture pics (44"x32" is the biggest i think!), takes time but I honestly wouldn't have a clue what to do with anything like a keencut or fletcher!!

Unfort a customer has just come in asking for deep bevel mounts (5mm) i would imagine i need a CMC for this no?

Humbled by your respect guys!! Means alot! :D
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

You can make deep bevel mounts by wrapping foam board with paper or fabric - if paper this could be mount board surface paper peeled off skinny offcuts you'd normally toss.

Like this http://theframersforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... it=wrapped
Abacus
Organisation: Abacus Picture Framing and Gallery
Interests: Picture Framing, Furniture making.

Post by Abacus »

You could also use this from lion for your deep mounts

http://www.lionpic.co.uk/product/45mm-P ... ,2987.aspx

Super work by the way.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

But that's paper-wrapped wood or MDF - and you have to buy it. If you use the materials in my link it's conservation quality and costs nothing at all (bar time, but not much and some of which you'd have to take with stuff you buy anyway) because it's made from stuff you'd normally toss.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Jayvee wrote:I honestly wouldn't have a clue what to do with anything like a keencut or fletcher!!
I think you soon would learn to use one with great results.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Jayvee

Post by Jayvee »

Robo,

Unfort, my logan can't cut at 5mm depths! So cant cut the foam board at an angle!!

Customer already has some cut and wants them to be similar and it appears that they are just really really thick mountboard. So I would imagine it is just a few sheets glued together then cut with a CMC?

Also, just wondering....you said you would charge some silly price to scare them away.... any ideas on what that price would have been!? :D
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

The thickest mount board I know of is 4.4mm and I couldn't cut 5mm on my CMC - not bevelled anyway.

I don't know how much a 'silly price' would be without working out a resaonable one first, but once I had I'd probably double it because I wouldn't want the job. Last time I tried that was for a double-sided footbal shirt - quoted something like £650 and the customer went for it :shock: It turned out to be pretty much what it was worth though!