PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
fusionframer
Organisation: Fusion Picture Framing
Interests: framing

Problems with Gummed Tape

Post by fusionframer »

Hi all,

I use Gummed tape to seal the back of my frames which I much prefer to self adhesive tape. However, having used a roll for a while I will find that the tape does come off the roll properly as if the adhesive is starting to stick together. I work out of a dry fully insulated unit with heating, although it will get cold at night.

I was wondering if anyone else has this problem and how to deal with it. I buy my tape from Wessex or Lion.

Thanks

Nick
www.fusionframing.co.uk

Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Problems with Gummed Tape

Post by Not your average framer »

Hi Nick,

This need not be a problem related to your workshop or the heating in your workshop, although if you use portable bottled gas heaters or something similar there can be humidity generated from the combustion process.

In many ways you may just have encountered a shelf life issue which can occur once the tape has been removed from the manufacturers bulk carton. I'm still working my way through two cartons of heavy duty gummed paper tapes, one of 48mm width and one of 72mm width.

Both of these tapes were supplied in cartons manufactured from coated corrogated cardboard. The coating on this cardboard is provided as a humidity barrier. While the tape remains in this sealed carton it is protected from humidity and has a long storage life.

Unfortunately once a roll of tape has been removed from the protective carton it is now unprotected from the normal atmospheric humidity in the environment and because gummed paper tape is a hydroscopic material, it will slowly absorb moisture from the surrounding atmosphere until you start to experience the problem which you have described. The problem takes time to occur and is subject to how long it takes you to use that roll of tape once it has been removed from the carton and the level of humidity in the local environment.

Fortunately gummed paper tape is a relatively cheap product and if the problem takes a reasonable long time to occur then the solution may be as simple as buying a new roll of tape, when the problem occurs. For example if your tape usage is such that it takes 12 months to get through one roll of tape, but the problem occurs after 6 months of using the tape, then it's a relatively minor problem and the cost of discarding half a roll every 6 months wn't break the bank.

If the problem occurs after only 4 to 6 weeks, then you might decide to investigate the level of humidity in your workshop and perhaps introduce some counter measures to control humidity levels in your workshop, such as a de-humidifier. If you already have a dehumidifier, then the rate at which the water container in the de-humidifier needs emptying will give a rough and ready indication of the level of humidity at the location where it has been employed.

I've used a lot of words to explain this, but hopefully it was worth it and I hope this may be of some help.

Mark
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
fusionframer

Post by fusionframer »

Thanks for that Mark, I tend to get through it quite quickly, but order a few at a time from Wessex and they come open to the elements. I then store on my shelves until needed, so you are probably right that it could be the fact it sits open for a period of time.

I get a Wessex order every week, so I could just order more often rather than keeping in stock.

As wessex send them open I wonder however, how they store them and whether this may not help.

Cheers again, I was just annoyed this afternoon, it is not really the cost that bothers me, but the time it takes up trying to sort out the problem.
www.fusionframing.co.uk

Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

fusionframer wrote:I get a Wessex order every week, so I could just order more often rather than keeping in stock.
You can still keep some in stock. Just store it in a sealed plastic bag and tie a knot in the open end of the bag. Problem solved!
fusionframer wrote:As wessex send them open I wonder however, how they store them and whether this may not help.
Don't worry about that, from the time when Wessex opens a box of 48 rolls to the time that they need to open another box is probably less than one week. Just think about how many framers are supplied from each depot, it's gonna be a lot, so storage time at Wessex won't be an issue.

Successful suppliers like Wessex will already understand any storage issues concerning their stock items, because it's an important business issue to them, so I don't think that you need to worry about this!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
sisters
Organisation: hereford
Interests: ummmmm picture framing !

Post by sisters »

Hi Nick,
you are not the only one we are also having problems with lion brown gum tape, agree with you on its not the cost so much that it drives us mad!!!
ChrisG
Organisation: Hampshire Framing Limited
Interests: .

Post by ChrisG »

Nick,

I have gummed tape from Wessex and keep it in a small plastic tool box (sort you get from Wicks) and don't have any problems - probably use the same reel for 3 or 4 months.
Not your average framer

Gummed paper tape is gummed paper tape regardless of where you got it from. The factors affecting this problem are humidity and time. The solution is either to reduce the level of humidity, or the time you allow the tape to be exposed to humidity.

Sorry guys, the problems is due to the laws of physics and you can't change those, so you have to change the factors which you can control. The good news is that Gummed paper tape is a cheap commodity, so it ain't gonna break the bank if you have to waste some and buy new before it's all used.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
misterdiy
Organisation: Decormount
Interests: Picture framing, mount-cutting, photoshop et al

Post by misterdiy »

Of course the issue could be the roll sitting in the wetter, which would pick up a lot of humidity. We don't leave ours in the wetter and to be honest we never have had a problem. We buy from Lion and the wide one (72mm x 200m) lasts us ages and that is not a problem. Perhaps the humidity is much closer to the tape :shock:
fusionframer

Post by fusionframer »

Thanks all again, I do leave the tape in the dispenser, but always empty the water at the end of the day, so that could make a difference.

With regards to humidity in the workshop, we are having a new heating system put in, so we will be able to sort any problems with this hopefully.

Cheers

Nick
www.fusionframing.co.uk