Keencut Oval 6

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Keencut Oval 6

Post by Not your average framer »

I really like my oval 6, except for certain niggles which I don't think should be there. So I wondered if anyone else has had the same problems and has found an answer to them.

First Problem: The centre of any cut-out does not coincide with the centre of the table marking and there is no way of adjusting for this. Keencut have told me that this is not a problem they have heard of before. I also suspect that the amount off centre may be variable with oval dimension settings although I have never had the time to prove this.

Second problem: Glass cutting size is different to the mount cutting size, but the difference varies according to the size being cut. Does not make any sense to me at all.

Third problem: Adjustment for leaning ovals. I wonder if anyone has ever come up with a table or chart which tells you what to set this to for different size ovals. A replacement label with plus & minus numbers for the leaning setting and a corresponding correction table would be great if any user or even Keencut has come up with or could come up with such a thing.

Fourth problem: Due to the fact that the trailing blade tends to cut smaller than the scale settings for smaller ovals or circles and the amount by which it does this varies with the size settings. I also wonder if anyone has worked out a table or chart for correcting this effect.

Finally if Keencut are reading this, I'm still very happy with all my Keencut equipment (Ultimat, System 4000, Oval 6 & Dart) and the back-up provided. I am not knocking Keencut at all - They are great!
Cheers,
Mark
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

Hi Mark
I used to have the Oval 6 before the CMC took over the role.

The only problem common with you that we came across was the table 'centre' corresponding with the 'centring arm'.

From memory, it did take quite a while to calibrate the whole unit and even a few phone calls to Keencut. Once that was done though, we had no other problems.

I am puzzled as to your glass size being different from the mount oval size. Never come across that one.

My Oval 6 is now in 'storage' waiting for a buyer.
John GCF
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Thanks John,

The centring arm is correctly set in the centre, but the centres on the scales around the table don't agree with this setting. Therefore, I am at present cutting the mountboard oversize and triming to size after cutting the oval. The scales on the table are not adjustable to correct this, which usually does not matter. However, when combining oval and rectangular cutting for the same aperture, it can be less easy to get perfect centring between the two.

I used to have an old magnolia oval cutter before I bought the Oval 6 and had the same problem with that one too. It may be wishful thinking on my part, but I was kind of hoping I could do things with a bit more accuracy with the Oval 6 and get a bit more speed into the process as well!
Cheers,
Mark
Not your average framer

Just added explaination of why I get these problems. I do some little mounts with curved tops to the aperture which are becoming quite a popular speciality. Unfortunately they look best with a long thin oval, which is not ideal for getting the best out of the mount cutter and it takes a lot of messing around to get rid of the out of shape oval effect each time I have to do different size. Ovals can get very lumpy and un-even until you get it right.

They do sell quite well,
Mark