Receiving moulding with marks... what is acceptable?

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
CanvasChris
Organisation: Retired Picture Framerand Printer
Interests: mountain biking & drinking beer.... not necessarily in that order!

Receiving moulding with marks... what is acceptable?

Post by CanvasChris »

Had 3 orders recently and all had marks that made the moulding unusable.... or if you did use there would be a lot of wastage, so had requested credits for damaged items.

Just received 2 x £30 sticks for a very last minute order and they have arrived again with marks. some on the top edge which miraculously are right where the cuts go but on both there are marks on the edge that touches the wall... see pic. there is no room for chopping out as I need 2.9m out of a 3m length.

I feel I am phoning company with every order I receive so would you accept these and use them?

Should I expect a perfectly unmarked length... especially at £30 each! this is a 60mm square canvas L profile.
Attachments
marks.jpg
marks.jpg (182.79 KiB) Viewed 5128 times
Canvas, Acrylic, Photographic, Fine Art Printing & Framing
http://www.prophotosolutions.co.uk
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Re: Receiving moulding with marks... what is acceptable?

Post by Jonny2morsos »

I have been experiencing the same. Here is one example of many:
IMG_0501.jpg
IMG_0501.jpg (1.27 MiB) Viewed 5106 times
Supplier blames the carrier for picking up the parcels using the plastic strapping they put round the currugated cardboard.

No argument about credits and thankfully I just about had enough left after chopping out the damage but could easily have been customers let down for christmas. Can do without the hassle of telephoning/emailing suppliers at this time of year.
prospero

Post by prospero »

It's no joke when you start getting dings in expensive moulding. :cry:

It's not so bad when you get a enormous chunk missing. The really annoying ones are those that you can't decide whether it will pass or not. There is a fine line between damage and a "lyrical imperfection". Even worse if you don't spot it until you have joined the frame.

I Chris's case in point, you could possibly touch up the bit were the paint has been scraped, but the dent will look very bad. Not so bad if there were a few more around the entire frame. :P But one on it's own - no.

Life is much less stressful in the world of hand-finishing. :D
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

peter

dont you have an implement for adding dings like that he he
Jonny2morsos

Post by Jonny2morsos »

Sorry I did not answer your question to which the answer is - No you should not accept moulding with damage.

A small amount here and there I will tolerate but on some of the packs I had delivered over half was unfit to use.

At this time of the year though it makes life very difficult if you are dependent on replacement stock arriving.

There seems to be a wide variation in the amount of packaging put around moulding to protect it in transit and I would cite Lion as being the best in the field but you do need to set aside some time simply to get all the cardboard and bubble wrap off. I have said this before on this topic but it seems to me some suppliers must evaluate the cost of extra packaging against possible claims for damage.
CanvasChris
Organisation: Retired Picture Framerand Printer
Interests: mountain biking & drinking beer.... not necessarily in that order!

Post by CanvasChris »

These 2 are going back.

I have to agree Lion seem to know what packaging is. Latest lot of 10 lengths came wrapped in large bubble wrap and cardboard and not a mark on it.

This is the worst I have had recently....
Attachments
marks2.jpg
marks2.jpg (173.34 KiB) Viewed 5069 times
Canvas, Acrylic, Photographic, Fine Art Printing & Framing
http://www.prophotosolutions.co.uk
Jonny2morsos

Post by Jonny2morsos »

I have had them with footprints on more than once!! Got a photo somewhere I think which I forwarded to the supplier. If I can find it I will post it.
prospero

Post by prospero »

stcstc wrote:peter

dont you have an implement for adding dings like that he he

Several. :lol:

There is quite an art to dinging frames. Most of the ready-dinged stuff looks phoney because the dings repeat themselves. You need to get them random and nicely balanced all round. A good method is to get a handful of gravel, place on frame and put a bit of scrap wood on top. Them give it several wacks with a big hammer.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

or give it to my fecking part time framer who seems to have a skill at doing it!!!!!!

:head: :head: :head:
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

I agree you shouldn't accept damage on moulding. I always sign for parcels damaged as a first line of defence. However having said all that quite often I have to make do as a lot of my wrk I'd needed the day before last thursday so I have to make do and haggle with the rep when he is next in. Most commercial jobs I over order anyway so I compensate if it is damaged also my jobs are a mix of various sizes so I can cut around in most cases,
valpendleton
Organisation: Rightangle
Interests: painting, photography,cooking, reading.

Post by valpendleton »

If it's just a fairly shallow dent & you REALLY are stuck & have to use the moulding... put some pinpricks in the hollow & fill the dent with a few drops of BOILING water. The dent will usually swell out, a bit of filler to cover the pinpricks & hey presto !
Vince442
Organisation: Alchemy Art & Framing Ltd
Interests: Art, photography, architecture, bonsai, travelling

Post by Vince442 »

valpendleton wrote:If it's just a fairly shallow dent & you REALLY are stuck & have to use the moulding... put some pinpricks in the hollow & fill the dent with a few drops of BOILING water. The dent will usually swell out, a bit of filler to cover the pinpricks & hey presto !
I hear that if you put cotton wool in before the water then there's no filling to do either. Haven't had to try this yet though.
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

valpendleton wrote:If it's just a fairly shallow dent & you REALLY are stuck & have to use the moulding... put some pinpricks in the hollow & fill the dent with a few drops of BOILING water. The dent will usually swell out, a bit of filler to cover the pinpricks & hey presto !
Won't work on plastic though :giggle: :giggle:

Great tip I will try that next time.
Framie
Organisation: Anything Framed
Interests: Custom Framing, Hand Finishes and Multi Aperture Mounts.

Post by Framie »

No damage is acceptable.

I've had loads of problems and continue to, I used to always take and email photos but this is such a pain and I feel like a right pain and the credit is so little and I have had to chase credit's and this have some missing.

And I need to email about the past two deliveries :head: .

I have spoken to the right people at the top and never really got anywhere just have to get the driver to take photos of ever parcel, feeling like a pain again :oops: .

I've given up and just order double what I need in hope I get a good bit of wood to work with.

My customers wont except me passing it on.

Gonna make a new plan in the new year and someones moulding are coming of the wall in hope someone else can supply me better.

Damaged in transit is only half the problem.
Anything Framed
Dave

Post by Dave »

This has been raised on here before, I did think it was only me.

#http://theframersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7374

I used to work in the buying department of a very large co. working with suppliers to improve their delivered quality. What I have seen in this business is at least 15 years out of date with other manufacturing industries, and simply would not be tolerated.

Yes we should all try and get on with our suppliers, and this is to be encouraged, but I say vote with your feet. I have three moulding suppliers, in the new year this will be changed to two partly as a result of delivered quality, and more importantly, a reluctance to want to improve it.

Rant over, have a merry christmas and a happy new year.

Dave
huntvambo
Organisation: Framed
Interests: Music, cycling, drinking, The Sensational Alex Harvey Band

Post by huntvambo »

Coming from the automotive industry where supplier quality is paramount and a lot of effort and thought is put into packaging I'm also staggered at the way most moulding companies pack but what really annoys me is that certain companies repeatedly blame the delivery company when it is quite obviously not there problem.

I accept that some damage can occur during delivery but I've received mouldings that have significant damage when the packaging is in perfect condition. Some of this damage is due to manufacturing issues and some due to poor storage, in my opinion, but these issues should be identified by the warehouse operative when picking. I guess if you pay a low wage and don't instill quality into your workforce they don't know, don't care or both.

I've had mouldings that have watermarks / damage several inches up but the packing is dry! I've hold expensive mouldings where the rebate is broken off in the middle of the length and the broken off part is not in the packaging, moulding with significant dents but the packaging is perfect. This particular company always provided replacement moulding almost without question, sometimes trying to charge me as the replacement quantity was below minimum order :Slap: But even some of the replacement moulding would be damaged.

I don't use them for moulding anymore, they may be one of cheapest suppliers with the largest range but for quality is still the main priority.

A company that does seem to have taken packaging as important are Neilsen. In 18 months I've not had any major problems, sure there's the odd imperfection but nothing you can't generally work around. They may be more expensive but I'm prepared to pay for quality.
Abacus
Organisation: Abacus Picture Framing and Gallery
Interests: Picture Framing, Furniture making.

Post by Abacus »

We are lucky enough to be on a van route from our major supplier (radius in Darlington). Ive had only a couple of lengths of damaged moulding in two years. Replaced without quibble on the next run.

The van drivers only deliver moulding (and glass etc) and the vans are adapted accordingly. The packaging is minimal as well.
countrystudio
Organisation: Bristol
Interests: framing

Post by countrystudio »

I have only had to ask for 2 credits for damaged moulding this year.
Love all the cardboard and bubble wrap my materials arrive in.
Saves me having to buy the stuff for packaging up completed frames for customers.
Re-cycle .......... it's good for profit.

Have a wonderful Christmas and may 2012 exceed all your expectations.
:)
Jonny2morsos

Post by Jonny2morsos »

Abacus wrote:We are lucky enough to be on a van route from our major supplier (radius in Darlington). Ive had only a couple of lengths of damaged moulding in two years. Replaced without quibble on the next run.

The van drivers only deliver moulding (and glass etc) and the vans are adapted accordingly. The packaging is minimal as well.
That is the advantage of using a wholesaler because they do the quality control for you but you pay a premium and have to accept a limited range which might not be what your customers require.
SPF
Organisation: Sudbury Picture Frames
Interests: Fine Art,Music

Post by SPF »

Damaged moulding is par for the course when you see how some is handled by couriers.Two things that get my goat is when the parcel arrives perfect,the moulding wrap is perfect, it's only when you unwrap that you discover the moulding was damaged 'before' wrapping- a right royal pain! The other is mountboard that has footprints on it even in a fresh new pack!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!