How (not) to hinge a barrier board

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
Ultima Thule
Organisation: retail framer
Interests: reading ,real ale, music

How (not) to hinge a barrier board

Post by Ultima Thule »

I was asked to re-mount a limited edition print the other week, as the customer did not like the mount as applied- not an uncommon job, and one I quite doing with other's work, as it is always interesting to see the different approaches to assembling a frame- especially the hidden bits :roll: . Anyway, took the frame apart- it was sealed with what appeared to be masking tape and backed with MDF- but the interesting bit was when I reached the print. It was top taped to the mount with the same sealing tape-I didn't see the principle of this as a problem, as I top-tape myself, and am fully aware of the pros and cons of this method, but certainly don't use masking type tapes as an adhesive. No, the interesting bit was the barrier board attached- the window drop-out- stuck to the art work itself with the same tape. Fortunately, I managed to carefully remove this from the print without damage beyond a few pulled fibres, but as to the thinking behind this method........ The framing was done by an established firm who have been around for some time now, and who ,to my mind , really should know better. How much extra does a piece of barrier board cost, after all?

A couple of shots to show what I found-
101_0078.jpg
101_0078.jpg (34.34 KiB) Viewed 3510 times
101_0079.jpg
101_0079.jpg (30.96 KiB) Viewed 3510 times
prospero

Re: How (not) to hinge a barrier board

Post by prospero »

Hmmmmm.... Somewhat defeats the purpose of using a barrier board in the first place. :roll:

If that were a print that had a high value on the secondary market, that copy would be worth a fraction of a mint example. If it were saleable at all.
I would love to take it back to where it was framed and ask them to un-frame it.
If it didn't come out in the same state it went in I would sue them from ###hole to Christmas. :lol:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Even I the lowly contract framer, hinge a barrier board to the mount and hinge the artwork to the barrier using conservation tapes :giggle: :giggle:

Masking tape is a no no in all framing situations. I don't even use it to tape up the back of low value contract jobs (pubs etc)

I just don't use any tape :giggle: :giggle:

(now I do miss Robo as that comment would surly warrant a reply from the Ministry of Conservation)
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Graysalchemy wrote:I just don't use any tape
To quote Victor Meldrew: " I can't believe it" :shock:
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Finishing the back of a frame takes time, time which these clients aren't prepared to pay for.

I am glad to say however not all my customers are like that and a fair proportion of my work is to conservation standard.