Black & foil hand finish

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Black & foil hand finish

Post by Not your average framer »

This is one of the methods I will be teaching on my forth coming hand finishing course. It just shows what is possible with foil finishes. It's quite an easy finish to do, but looks really stunning. It would look even better on a larger moulding profile.
Black & foil hand finished Rose & Hollis A218.jpg
Black & foil hand finished Rose & Hollis A218.jpg (35.12 KiB) Viewed 10175 times
It looks much better than the photo shows, but I still need a better camera, or need to discover how to photograph reflective materials better.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Black & foil hand finish

The foil will take a glaze, or a wash and works well on mountboard too!

It's incredibly thin and can be applied onto a piece of mountboard before the aperture is cut, without the corner overlaps showing. It can even be applied to cut bevel edges on mounts!

This also is a great way of recycling your left over mountboard, when producing double mounts. The rear mount can be any unwanted colour of board and then easily changed by applying the desired foil finish.

Foils are available in just about any colour, or metallic finish and in matt, stain and gloss. At present, I've only bought golds and silvers, in distressed, cracked and florentine finishes. Some are quite delicate almost matt finishes, while others are more glossy. All are able to be distressed if required!

I was able to see some samples before I ordered, so I made sure that I got some that are really classy. Next time I will buy some plain and brushed golds, silvers, and bronzes, plus some plain coulours as well.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
birdman
Organisation: Pelican Picture Framing
Interests: Getting up close and personal with Val

Post by birdman »

Sounds interesting Mark. Who supplies these foils and how do you get samples?
Rolf Lawson GCF
“I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order.” Eric Morecambe
My status
Not your average framer

Hi Rolf,

I've sent you a PM.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

mark why not post in the thread, i am sure there are a good few others would be interested in where these things come from etc

if they are very thin, how do you stick them down, i assume it needs to be very soome else you will see imperfections?
Not your average framer

stcstc wrote:mark why not post in the thread
After the course, I will share the information on this technique with other forum members in the "Members only" section.

Some will need to see how I do this as well as getting the info, because there is quite a bit of "hands on" method to this particular technique. I trust that some will get there without needing any more than the information I will give, but some won't.

I'm not sure how many of the techniques I am teaching can be expected to be learnt from just information posted on the forum. For example, authentic florentine finishes have to be taught as a hands on thing, because the exact recipe and viscosity of the paints is part of the technique.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

Mark

why even post this now if your not prepare to talk about it till after you course. Its not in the spirit of this forum or any other, to put something up then say hey no we will talk about it later

i understand you want to keep the info to show to the poeple attending your course. BUT why post here until then.
Not your average framer

Hi Stephen,

I accept your point and I will answer those questions now, but I would have liked to have been able to post the notes for the course on this particular finish. Unfortunately I cannot do so yet as I will be writing them this weekend and therefore don't have them available yet.

To answer the questions, the foil comes from Foilco and they are very helpful with samples. As you have said, the foil is very thin and yes, it takes skill and technique to avoid the imperfections which would otherwise be visible through the foil.

Some of my other techniques will be posted in the members only section, but there are not any selfish reasons for this. The information will still be there, if they are prepared to register and log on.

This is an attempt to get some of our unregistered lurkers to join and become involved in the forum. My thinking is that once they have registered and get the reply button on their screens, then they may be tempted to start asking questions and get involved. Do you think this is a good idea?
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

cool mark, is the foild adhesive backed??

i like your thinking of the members only. only flaw is, as non members cant see whats in the members only section how will they know its there? and therefore ask questions?
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Post by David McCormack »

Yes. The more involved and contributing with the forum the better.

BTW, hope your workshop goes well, a great idea :yes:
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
Not your average framer

Thanks David.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer

stcstc wrote:cool mark, is the foild adhesive backed??
Yes, but the adhesive is an extremely thin layer and either needs enough pressure to bring all the adhesive into full contact with the application surface material, or a prepared compatible coating on the application surface to assist adhesion.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer