Bosuns Pipe and Medals

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
mikeysaling
Organisation: sarah jane framing
Interests: astronomy medals photography

Bosuns Pipe and Medals

Post by mikeysaling »

By mikeysaling at 2012-03-24

By mikeysaling at 2012-03-24

Medals NATO former Yugoslavia; RN Meritorious Service; RN Long Service + bar for additional 15 years.

I used econospace to give extra depth to the frame for the court mounted medals : The 'bulb' of the pipe rests in a similar size hole in the backing board and velveteen.
when all is said and done - there is more said than done.
countrystudio
Organisation: Bristol
Interests: framing

Re: Bosuns Pipe and Medals

Post by countrystudio »

Very nice job indeed.
Heather
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Hi Mickey,

Another excellent medal framing job as per your usual high standard. Your work shows that you have a real passion for what you do. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
retropic
Organisation: Frames
Interests: Frames

Post by retropic »

That looks great. I like that it doesn't look overcrowded and I like the velvet background. A very smart composition.

I was experimenting in the workshop with some box frame we had lying around and decided to do something with my Dad's police and army memorabilia which were lying around in drawers. The constraints were that the box frame was just some black stuff we were using regularly; the police helmet rose was quite deep and I didn't know how best to mount the medals (I have discovered that they flap around in the frame when it's moved, so this is not ideal); I've only been framing for around six months and I can take it apart and do it again now I know it's not quite right (after all they are my bits of memorabilia, not a customers). I also don't like that I used a blob of glue to hold the whistle on and the cut of the aperture is a bit ragged.

If you don't mind me hijacking your thread, I'd be grateful for thoughts and ideas on how I could improve on this and what I could do differently. How for example could I invisibly secure those medals?

Bit of a rubbish picture I'm afraid. Am still mastering the art of taking photos of frames without getting glare (have followed the threads about that on here and the solution seems very complex).
Attachments
pic.jpg
pic.jpg (479.91 KiB) Viewed 5455 times
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

Wire or fishing line aronud the base of each medal going through a pin hole in the backing, will stop them swinging.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Melinex/mylar straps also would, but unlike wire is clear and unlike fishing line, is flat and unlike either, can be more securely fixed - no knots.

They can be cut as wide or as thin as you like, so would also work for the whistle, and its chain.
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

I will try Melinex/mylar straps on my next medal job, I have not seen these before nice tip.