Uncollected goods

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
RobinC

Uncollected goods

Post by RobinC »

Well Christmas is over, and I am now starting my least favorite job - chasing up customers who have placed orders, left a deposit and then not been seen since. It is not a massive problem, but nevertheless it is an irritation. Being a bit of a softy, I understand that people do hit hard times occasionally and may not be able to pay what they owe - I just want them to contact me and let me know if they still want the goods they have ordered. Generally the worst offenders are those who buy pictures of boxers (sportsmen not dogs) - I have 5 copies of a picture signed by M Ali that are no longer available tucked away on deposit for 5 different customers, and I know that once I sell them in will come the customers to collect them - its sods law isn't it!

How do the rest of you handle this irritation, or are all your customers perfect?

Robin
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

100% Deposit + storage charge past due collection date...
foxyframer
Organisation: Hampshire Framing
Interests: Golf, DIY and baking bread,cakes, biscuits and making chilli jams and various chutneys.

Post by foxyframer »

Many of our customers like to pay up front. Never something to be discouraged. With the exception of reliable and longstanding customers we always take a substantial deposit, especially from new faces to cover at least material costs. It is irritating, and more so when there is no response from reminders. Fortunately they are few,but still a pain. I have a small oil which was restored over eighteen months ago. Pretty little thing,fairly valuable. Will he collect it ? Nothing!
Amazing how many collect without an invoice. Oh I've lost it, or it's on the kitchen table. That's only from a week ago. Der brains.
This is probably one of the worst periods for non-collectors. Post Christmas. No money;credit card bill looming;tax bill at the end of the month( how we are all looking forward to that)for the self-employed. Mind you they are better than the salary earners.

Take heart Robin they're countrywide.
Measure twice - cut once
patrickleeland

Post by patrickleeland »

Be good with following up. Sit down the first day of each week and ring them. Heck if you got the email addy that is a good way and put a notice to let you knw if it was recieved.

PL
markw

Post by markw »

I have started taking payment up front for all work that will leave me out of pocket if its not collected. I wont put any prints to one side unless payed for. I phone - text - send emails and finally write a letter if work isn't picked up.

I still have work uncollected - even when the customer has paid in full.
I have two pieces that cost the customers in excess of £150 each. The customers have just disappeared - moved house or died. One of them had been with me for years - I ended up giving it to a charity having made every possible attempt to contact the owner.
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

ebay or sell of in the shop or put in the trash.
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

Thanks for the replies, It isn't a major financial problem, as if we resell the items and the customer has lost their deposit then we make that as extra profit. I find it really odd when someone has left a substantial deposit and they still do not collect their goods. I like to write to the customer, especially if we are going to resell the picture as we then have a paper trail we can show them if they turn up at a later date. As it happens a customer called today and finally paid for a picture he has been messing about with for over 3 years. he kept us sweet by paying £50 every now and again. I would love to be a solicitor and add costs to the amount for every phone call and letter we have sent him.

Last year we closed for a couple of weeks while we refurbished and we had a few long standing debts paid up as the customers panicked thinking they were going to lose their picture.

Still. more to worry about today as half of Preston City centre is closed off due to unsafe buildings in the wind.

Robin
markw

Post by markw »

it must be good Karma radiating from this forum - I just had a missing customer come in and pick up his years old job. :lol:
Framerpicture
Organisation: Picture Framing
Interests: Mountain Biking, Walking,

uncollected work

Post by Framerpicture »

Does anyone know how long a picture framer is legally obligated to hold on to uncollected work and are there any examples out there of suggested wording to have displayed in the shop and on the website regarding policy on uncollected work?
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

I hope this helps. All new or unknown customers are told that if the items are not collected within 3 months. Then it becomes my property.

Can uncollected goods be disposed of?
There is a law which gives a trader the right to dispose of uncollected goods; this is called the Torts (Interference with Goods) Act 1977.

It sets out certain procedures which a trader must follow to ensure that goods are not disposed of haphazardly.

Must I collect the goods?
A trader may impose an obligation on a customer to take delivery of their goods (this is usually where repair work has been carried out and the customer refuses to pay for it).

However, a trader must give notice to a customer stating that (s)he wishes the goods to be collected.

What must this notice say?
The trader must put on the letter of notice:

* Their name and address
* Details of the goods
* A statement saying they are ready for collection
* An address from where they can be collected
* The amount owing (if any)

Can the goods be sold?
Before selling the goods a trader must send you a notice of their intention to do so. This must be sent by registered post or recorded delivery.

The notice must be the same as that described previously, but must also include the date of the intended sale of the item(s) if not collected.

When can the sale take place?
The intended date of sale must be a reasonable length of time ahead.

If there is any amount payable on the goods, it should not be less than three months.

What happens then?
Providing the notice has been sent and the goods have not been collected, the trader can sell them.

Any money from the sale can be claimed by the person leaving the goods with the trader. However, the trader is entitled to take any expenses owed, including any costs involved in selling the goods, such as advertising them for sale.

What if I have moved?
If you have changed your address and forgotten to tell the trader, they would still be entitled to sell the goods provided they could show all reasonable steps had been taken in trying to trace you, such as advertisements in local shops, papers, etc.

Remember, if the trader has to pay to do this, they can claim the costs from the proceeds of the sale.

What if the trader doesn't notify me?
If for some reason, perhaps due to error, the trader sells your goods without sending you proper notice, you may be able to claim compensation from them.

However, this may be a difficult process if they refuse to pay or argue the amount that is being claimed. You should, therefore, seek further advice on this.

The requirement for uncollected goods can be a little complicated, so if you do require further advice on this matter, or would like more information regarding details contained in this leaflet, please contact your local Trading Standards office.
John GCF