Please help

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
Dove Cottage Crafts

Please help

Post by Dove Cottage Crafts »

Can someone please tell me the correct way to assemble a frame using a very heavy embossed repeat patern mould. Where do I start and where do I finish and how do I get the joints to match. ALSO !!!!!!!why is my left hand side blade pushing the moulding out near the final cut....is it because I just had them sharpened or is there some other reason.....Thanks :(
DOVE COTTAGE CRAFTS
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Tech Support
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

Welcome to the forum Dove Cottage Crafts.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say that you want to "get the joints to match", do you mean matching the embossed pattern so that each side is a mirror image of its neighbour?

Cutting a heavy moulding on a Morso or similar is really a two man job. You need two hands clamping the moulding ensuring that it does not move as the blades descend, with a third hand firmly on the lever keeping the cutting head tight against the final stop, preventing it from moving. Also the final cut should be just the finest of slivers.
Framerpicture
Organisation: Picture Framing
Interests: Mountain Biking, Walking,

Post by Framerpicture »

The "pushing away" of the moulding on the left sounds like a problem with the blades.
Although Danlist (who make Morso) won't recognise this problem its one I've come across several times. The blades probably have, for want of a better word, a bulge in them. This is not visable to the naked eye.
I can't quite remember why it happens , Stewart at Lion did explain and they do rectify it.
Its worth having a word with the grinders who you use for sharpening as it can be rectified by surface grinding of the flat surface, although if they haven't done this before I'd be careful!

Another problem I've been having with blades is that there losing their edge much faster these days and crubling the back of some mouldings.
After some investigations I have discovered that this is being caused by the almost rock like gesso used by moulding manufacturers in the Far East.
So cheap mouldings aren't always so when you blades lose there edge in no time at all.
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Tech Support
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

Matching the pattern across the corners might be possible, it depends on the type of pattern and the size of frame you need to make.

Certain patterns are impossible to match in this way such as a rope design. Only patterns that are repeating mirror images of itself along the length of the moulding can work.

The length of each side can only be a multiple of the pattern length, so it is not possible to make the frame to any size you choose, the subject has to fit the frame, not the other way round.

Each side must start at the same point on the pattern.

Tricky job, good luck with it.
markw

Post by markw »

The Morso relies upon both blades cutting with equal force - cut with just one side and the blade will try and force the moulding away.

Couple of clamps holding the moulding in place can help when you have very wide - or very hard moulding.
Dove Cottage Crafts

From Dove Cottage Crafts....THANK YOU

Post by Dove Cottage Crafts »

Hi...Thanks for all the help regarding my questions relating to morso problems and embossed mouldings......Carel
DOVE COTTAGE CRAFTS
foxyframer
Organisation: Hampshire Framing
Interests: Golf, DIY and baking bread,cakes, biscuits and making chilli jams and various chutneys.

Post by foxyframer »

Carel

Check there is no waste material in the V of the mitreing machine. A plug of crushed moulding can build up quickly and definately cause blades to push away on the left side. All the more so on wider and more chunky framing. Once clear, if the blades are sharp. there shoudn't be a problem.
Measure twice - cut once