No backing board

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

No backing board

Post by IFGL »

And all held together with parcel tape. Awesome.
Attachments
Lol
Lol
2012-05-25 12.29.35.jpg (1.3 MiB) Viewed 6984 times
Roboframer

Re: No backing board

Post by Roboframer »

I once owned a Citroen GS Club and attempted to change the front brake pads. Long story short, whilst trying to force them apart on one side, I cracked the disc.

Couldn't drive it like that, If I braked that wheel would lock and I'd be off the road, so I broke the whole disc off. I drove the car like that until its MOT was due, a good few months, and then scrapped it.
IFGL

Post by IFGL »

That is kind of scary, how did you stop the pistons from popping out, and loosing all foot braking?
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Dunno - but it braked quite well considering, self-levelling suspension an' all!

Just making the point that the frame was surely a DIY job - no framer would let something like that go ...... I hope!!
IFGL

Post by IFGL »

Not a professional job for sure , but still done by an artist hoping to sell her wares , it was only incidental that she broke the glass ,made me chuckle after she left of course
retropic
Organisation: Frames
Interests: Frames

Post by retropic »

Personally Robo, I would have scrapped the Citroen and kept the brake disc. Horrible cars.

My mother was an artist and frequently used to "frame" her own wares in a similar manner to this one. On positive note, as a newcomer to framing, I have inherited a substantial collection of unsold works upon with which I can practice my framing skills. I have always been surprised that artists are meticulous in the execution of their work, unrealistic about the value of those works and reluctant to spend a few quid on a decent frame in which to showcase their efforts.
prospero

Post by prospero »

I've had quite promising artists bringing stuff in and 9 times out of ten they want simple (=cheap) frames.
A familiar comment is "I can't spend much on the frames as I only sell the paintings for 40 quid......etc".

I point out that the art is of good quality and spending the right amount on the frame will allow them to sell for much more. OK, they won't sell as many £400 paintings as £40 ones, but there again they won't need to. :wink:

Better to have one painting in a decent frame than 10 in carp frames.

I'm genuinely not interested in up-selling them the most lucrative frames from my perspective. There is a frame that will suit their work perfectly and it doesn't need to be expensive. It might mean an extra £20 or so...... But still they persist. :|
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
IFGL

Post by IFGL »

I try to make the item same point, also under pricing helps no one especially the artist .