Large gold frames for outside????

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
bonbon
Organisation: North Oxfordshire
Interests: music, letterpress, printing, cooking. drawing.

Large gold frames for outside????

Post by bonbon »

I have been asked for a quote by a client who wants a number of large gold frames 4x3 feet for an installation outside. The frames wont have anything in them as the idea is that they will be framing the existing landscape/garden/plant. They are to be viewed from a distance so they just have to look like frames, ie they can be made of various wooden batons etc etc. the "life expectancy" needs to be a year, before possibly maintenance or refinishing! Anybody got any ideas as to construction or is there a moulding out there that might do the job, it needs to be 5 or 6 inches wide to be effective at a distance. Second part of the question, what would be the best gold effect paint/spray to use and should it have a protective coating? I'm not sure as to what to charge, they may take an age to make?? Any suggestions would be very appreciated. regards Brian
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Re: Large gold frames for outside????

Post by GeoSpectrum »

As far as materials go I would tend to go for inexpensive woods from B&Q and use a selection of shaped profiles from the B&Q profile rack to make up a suitable 'frame like' profile. Glue, screws and clamps for construction with filler where needed. As they are being viewed from a distance the detail shouldnt matter too much. Paint? possibly car spray paint from Halfords with a clear coating on top?

Charge your hourly rate plus all materials and incidentals including transport. Sounds like a fun job.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I think I'd probably look at something ready-made from Arqadia or Simons and yacht-varnish it.
prospero

Post by prospero »

The ideal would be plastic mouldings. Possibly several stacked together. There are some biggish ornate ones. Not sure how the finishes would weather. Only one way to find out. :D They would certainly fare better than wooden ones. Anything with traditional formula gesso would start to flake soon after the first damp spell.

If they do start to look a bit manky, they could easily be sprayed over with gold paint.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Plastic mouldings will lose their foil finish in damp environments, I lost loads when I had a burst pipe once :giggle: .

I used to have a sign outside my shop years ago which was a a picture frame witha sign hanger below. I made it out of a bare wood moulding gessoed and guilded and yacht varnish over the top. If I was to do it again I would probably spray paint or guilt paint it and laquer it with yacht varnish.

How are they going to be attached? If you screw anything into it after it has been varnished dip the screw in varnish before you screw it in this will seal up the hole.
A3DFramer
Organisation: Collectors Cases
Interests: Virtual 3D Model making, Digital Graphics.

Post by A3DFramer »

I have just returned from walking around Shrewsbury, as I came up Pride hill I saw an A board made of 2 ornate gold frames about 3-4in., holding blackboards about 30in., 20in hinged at the top and legs screwed to the back of the frames, judging by the scuffing on the legs this piece of street furniture has seen some use but the gilding though slightly dull is still presentable. It was very reminiscent of the PU type plastic mouldings that I remember.
JamesC
Organisation: The Framed Picture Company
Interests: Printing and Framing, Canvas Prints, Perspex Mounting, Graphic Design, Football, Tennis, Golf, Computers, Film, Antiques, Mountain Biking, Bass Guitar, Music, Art, Mensa

Post by JamesC »

I used a big plastic moulding for a foamex sign on my unit front. A year on it seems 100% fine and I chose it cos it was plastic/cheap/lightweight. Black finish though and of the mainline polcore type - some like the Simons Emafyl do seem to have a more delicate finish that can crack and peel.

Agree simons ready mades or arqadia swepts etc could be great - maybe with an extra varnish but they are not bad. I reckon any outside wood varnish would be ok if you want to go that far.

If you make your own mitred frame then I know you can get outdoor grade wood glue/pva which might be worth considering.

1 year doesn't seem like a long time for anything to have to last so that's on your side.

If you want a trip to B&Q and spraying up etc. then fine, but swept frames are not too expensive, the simpler the cheaper it seems. I guess it will depend a little on budget/quantity which works out your best way.
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

Roboframer got there before me .
prospero

Post by prospero »

My sign over the door has a stained/varnished wood frame on it. I gave it about 10 coats of yacht varnish.
It's a bit faded now and has stuff growing on it but it has been up for 17 years. :P
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

There used to be a two part epoxy varnish called Tuf Kote. It was absolutely clear and dried very hard, it was totally weather proof and not affected by UV radiation, salt water, bleach, petrol, diesel, etc. It's probably called something else these days. It had a lot of uses, including use on sea going boats.

It was the most indestructible varnish I ever came across. There's probably still something similar available.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
framemaker

Post by framemaker »

The gallery I worked at before going self employed had a sign above the door, which was framed with two Simons swepts. It was given a few coats of yacht varnish. I think it lasted for 18 months before the finish really started flaking off.
Its been a while since I ordered a Simons swept but i think they do them at 3'x4' and 4'x5'
I would have also thought that some plastic moulding finish may flake and peel away quite quickly.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

We bought a couple of these monsters from Arqadia once when they were on offer.

We didn't anticipate just how big they were (5.5 x 4.5 ft overall) and the only place we could display them was outside the shop in good weather! Otherwise, and overnight, they lived under our workshop porch.
bonbon
Organisation: North Oxfordshire
Interests: music, letterpress, printing, cooking. drawing.

Post by bonbon »

Thank you all for your comments.

Ill look into the various options, but the frames made up of wood, sprayed gold and varnished sounds about right.

regards Brian