Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
ceebdub
Organisation: Nr Bicester
Interests: Joinery,silversmithing,photography,motorsport

Acrylic Sandwich

Post by ceebdub »

I have a customer that wants somethings mounted in an acrylic sandwiches (5mm acrylic/ image/5mm acrylic) pre-drilled held together with screw corner posts. I am getting large discrepancies in price. (ie £13 for a 10x8 up to £40 per unit depending where from) Is there a quality difference? has anyone used these things and can recommend ? I do want quality.
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Re: Acrylic Sandwich

Post by Jonny2morsos »

Canvas Chris is a forum member and one of my customers had an acrylic done by him and was very pleased. This is Chris's website: http://www.prophotosolutions.co.uk/
ceebdub
Organisation: Nr Bicester
Interests: Joinery,silversmithing,photography,motorsport

Post by ceebdub »

Thanks, I'll look.
CanvasChris
Organisation: Retired Picture Framerand Printer
Interests: mountain biking & drinking beer.... not necessarily in that order!

Post by CanvasChris »

thanks for the promo j2m

Acrylic is wildly priced from some sources. It's linked to the petrochemical industry so fluctuates like petrol.

Baring in mind that the edges need polishing once cut It's not something that is easily available already cut to size but I have a local supplier who cuts to any size I want when I want it.

There are different grades of acrylic... from the stuff you put in shed windows to the optically clear stuff, but I prefer to use Cast Acrylic as it is one of the better grades available and reasonably priced.

No prices on my website as I supply trade only and it's the old brochure there too... :xcomputer: :xcomputer: must get that sorted!

email me if you need any help ceebdub
Canvas, Acrylic, Photographic, Fine Art Printing & Framing
http://www.prophotosolutions.co.uk
ChrisG
Organisation: Hampshire Framing Limited
Interests: .

Post by ChrisG »

Any hints on cleaning acrylic on framing? I find it attracts dust like nothing else.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I quite like that acrylic doesn't actually need 'cleaning' because you peel off the protective sheets and it's already 'clean' underneath.

Peeling off the protective sheet causes static though - a hell of a lot of static - but it's still not 'dirty', just covered in dust etc.

Handle with cotton gloves and it's still not 'dirty' too. All you have to do now is get rid of all the dust etc and I do that with a 'static whisk' brush, earthed to my compressor - there are other ways of dissipating the static charge, including a fancy gun that costs a bomb but is worth it if needs be. Otherwie a damp cloth will do, but then you're in to cleaning something that really doesn't need cleaning, jut dusting.