Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
AllFramed
Organisation: AllFramed
Interests: Framing, Photography, The Clarets, Chateau Musar

Cold in the workshop

Post by AllFramed »

Popped into the workshop this afternoon. It was cold cold cold. I have an oil filled heater that cuts in so that it doesn't freeze, but it is still cold. Got me wondering whether the cold does any damage to any framing materials such as glues, paints, laminates, tapes etc. Then I thought at this time of year, most storage warehouses will probably be consistently cold for longer. The heating goes up when I am working in there so materials are generally not used in such temperatures. Do you think the cold affects the lifespan and usability of these products?
There's more to the picture, than meets the eye. Hey hey, my my.
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Re: Cold in the workshop

Post by IFGL »

They usually give storage instructions on data sheets for the products, there is usually a part that says store between blah and blah, like you I have heating on to take the chill off the air, while we are not in.
Bagpuss
Organisation: Adam The Picture Framer
Interests: TBA

Post by Bagpuss »

I'm quite lucky in that I have a Workshop attached to the house and it has a radiator so mountboard never gets too cold but I have noticed that my sheets of glass that are stored leaning against one side of the garage door do get pretty cold. I think that when the glass is too cold and I try to cut it on the Excalibur it won't always "snap" down the scored line and it breaks off at an angle :( Has anyone else noticed glass cutting problems when it's cold ?
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

Yes, I used to get glass delivered on a Monday morning and was having problems in the cold weather. I then realised the supplier was loading the van on Friday afternoon and it stood in the van over the weekend.

To overcome this I would take the first sheet and leave it on the Keencut with a fan heater blowing on it until I needed to cut a piece.
IFGL

Post by IFGL »

Yep us too, glass wheels seem to last longer in the warm too.

Gesso gets more crumbly in the cold too. my knees are definitely slower and creak more.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I always bring my glass in from shed outside and leave it for a good half hour before cutting, if i can in front of a gentle heat source.

Dave
strokebloke
Organisation: Turn Around Artwork
Interests: Photography, Wood-turning, Wood Carving; Bench Joinery, Cycling:
Learning new framing techniques!
Precision engineering

Post by strokebloke »

Glues, adhesives on tapes, and paints also change in characteristic during cold weather.
Shelf life is reduced and warranties etc are effectively nullified, if used in condition outside those specified by the manufacturer/supplier.
Timber (framing) also becomes more brittle in extremes of cold weather and less amenable to adhesive penetration.
Anything above about 4-5 degrees F should be OK though, for modern materials
http://www.turnaroundartwork.co.uk
Good advice is best learned, rather than simply listened to.
prospero

Post by prospero »

I just been out to get some moulding from the shed and it's actually quite cosy in there. :P I'll think I'll move in.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Bagpuss
Organisation: Adam The Picture Framer
Interests: TBA

Post by Bagpuss »

Bagpuss wrote:I'm quite lucky in that I have a Workshop attached to the house and it has a radiator so mountboard never gets too cold but I have noticed that my sheets of glass that are stored leaning against one side of the garage door do get pretty cold. I think that when the glass is too cold and I try to cut it on the Excalibur it won't always "snap" down the scored line and it breaks off at an angle :( Has anyone else noticed glass cutting problems when it's cold ?
Ignore the previous comments about breaking glass in the cold ... it's amazing how well glass cuts when you replace the cutting wheel on the Excalibur :clap:
Have just ordered a few spares, I'll be changing the wheel more regularly from now on. :rock:
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )
ChrisG
Organisation: Hampshire Framing Limited
Interests: .

Post by ChrisG »

I noticed the mount cutter altered slightly in the cold, it was undercutting compared with warmer conditions. Struck me that metals expand in the heat and contract in the cold (remembered from O Level physics).

Not a problem now as I rent a workshop that includes all heating and electric.
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Wish mine included heating.

My office is regularly 5-6c and that is the warmest part of the building, goodness knows what the rest of the workshop is. I have taken to wearing thermals, 4 jumpers and two coats and huddle next to a halogen heater.

It is positively warmer outside my workshop in winter than inside. I open the shutters and doors to let the heat in. :giggle:
IFGL

Post by IFGL »

The new shop is centrally heated, Including both workshops and the cellars, just sayin
:lol:

although its probably gonna cost an arm and a leg.
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Its not worth my while trying to heat 3500sq ft :giggle: :giggle:
IFGL

Post by IFGL »

We have well over 4000 sq ft including the heated cellars, like I said arm and leg removal time,
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

my shop is always to hot, and never have the heating on. but....... all the kit in the place warms the place