Would you advise against this?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Would you advise against this?

Post by Jonny2morsos »

I have a (potential) customer who has come in with a B/W photo printed on canvas with an image area of 750 x 545mm.

What he would like me to do is:

Stretch canvas and frame using Simons COSM/0010 black laquer finish moulding with a narrow 1/2" silver inner moulding used a a liner/slip.
BUT he would like a piece of Anti Reflective glass in between the two mouldings.

Once the mouldings are stacked the canvas on stretchers would be proud at the back.

My concern is that the glass would only be supported by a very narrow area where it is in contact with the two mouldings and because the canvas is proud at the back any pressure from behind would be transferred to the glazing.

My instinct is telling me to refuse to do it on safety grounds. Be interested in how others might handle this.
prospero

Re: Would you advise against this?

Post by prospero »

It's not a huge piece of glass. It's a fairly meaty moulding. Plenty of room to fix an extension piece of wood to the back. Be easier if the canvas was mounted onto board......

Sometimes with under-the-glass liners I run a strip of linen tape along the top of the liner - just enough so it doesn't show under the rebate. This lifts the glass off the liner surface. This is more important for painted liners as direct glass contact can produce weird effects, but in any case it does form a sort of cushion against the glass.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About