Safe method of standing RMF's on shelving

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Safe method of standing RMF's on shelving

Post by Not your average framer »

I can't be the only one to encounter this problem. I'm looking for something which looks neat and presentable to be placed on shelves to prevent ready made frames from sliding forward and therefore falling off the front of the shelves. The ready made frames will be stacked one behind another and standing on one edge with the glass and internal label facing forwards.

A spacer at the back of the shelves will ensure that they all lean slightly back against the display infill panels. Unfortunately, although these shelves are not a shiney finish, they are still a very smooth and relatively low friction surface. It would be nice to have something which looks very professional and easy to keep clean, without having to take everything off the shelves, when cleaning is required.

Any ideas?

Thanks in anticipation,
Mark
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Re: Safe method of standing RMF's on shelving

Post by Merlin »

Try moulding screwed to the front of the shelves
John GCF
prospero

Post by prospero »

Bit of thin carpet? Cork tiles? :)
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

As Merlin said, or if you look at the picture I posted in the other thread about ready cut mounts, I have a strip of timber from a DIY store glued and pinned to the front of my shelves
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Abacus
Organisation: Abacus Picture Framing and Gallery
Interests: Picture Framing, Furniture making.

Post by Abacus »

Black router mats are great, we use them to assemble on, and on the surface of our "waiting" pile to stop any sliding.
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Thanks Abacus, for the idea of the black non slip matting. Sounds like the way to go!

Steve N and Merlin,

Thanks for your suggestions. The piece of wood pinned onto the front of the shelf was a good idea too, but I won't know what pinning into them will do to them until after I've done it!

I paid a lot for these professional shop fitting shelves, so I don't want to risk messing them up. Nevertheless, thanks for an otherwise good suggestion.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

NYAF wrote:

Thanks for your suggestions. The piece of wood pinned onto the front of the shelf was a good idea too, but I won't know what pinning into them will do to them until after I've done it!

I paid a lot for these professional shop fitting shelves, so I don't want to risk messing them up. Nevertheless, thanks for an otherwise good suggestion.

You could try on the back edge first to see what happens or on a bit of scrap
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Not your average framer

Thanks Steve,

I've already decided on the non-slip matting. It's just so easy to do and should look really neat!

I'm only buying one piece of non-matting, the sticking it onto double slided adhesive carpet tape and cutting it into slips. That way, I get to do all four shelves with one roll of matting.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Post by Tudor Rose »

eerrr sorry for being a bit dim here (I am blonde after all :giggle: ), but if you were worried about a few pin holes from putting moulding on the front of the shelves damaging them, what is aggressive double sided carpet tape going to do to the surface of the shelves, just in case it doesn't work exactly as you wanted it or, or if you wanted to change the matting at any point?
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022
Abacus
Organisation: Abacus Picture Framing and Gallery
Interests: Picture Framing, Furniture making.

Post by Abacus »

If you use a router mat it won't need sticking down. They stay put on their own
Not your average framer

Hi Jo,

That's true, but the top face of the slelves is not particularly visible, where as the front edge is very visible.

When I had the secondhand book and antique prints shop, I was fortunate to have some very nice german made expensive shop fittings with really thick edge banding on the fittings.

I pinned some display signage onto this shelves and the edge banding cracked and split over the remaining years while I had the shop. Visually it completely ruined the shop fittings, so I don't want to do that again!
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer