Photo framing - help!!!

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
CalicoFraming
Organisation: Calico Framing
Interests: Picture framing, fine art

Photo framing - help!!!

Post by CalicoFraming »

I have an opportunity to pitch to a local pro photographer but have almost no experience framing photos. I could use some advice!

I know that photos are often drymounted and that different photo papers etc. behave differently and require different mounting approaches. Is that right? Something best left to the drymounting experts I guess.

The photographer in question also offers her customers float frames with a very narrow face and the photo presumably mounted (and sealed?) floating within said frame. Can anyone give more details on this process?

Likewise, she offers photos mounted on acrylic blocks. I see Lion see these things but again would appreciate some insight into the process.

If anyone has any other advice for me before I contact the photographer I'd be really grateful. I need to know if it's viable for me to take this work on and if so what I'd need to do to get up to speed.

Thanks!
:D
stcstc

Re: Photo framing - help!!!

Post by stcstc »

ok

float frames

basically they are mouldings turned on their side

simons sell them called boxx
arquadia sell them called inset mouldings

basically you print, laminate and mount on 5mm foamcore or mdf and glue it into the frame you make

i often use polcore from mainline for this too as its very cheap and looks great

you idealy need to be using a cold laminator to do the mounting, less issues with edges getting crushed

acrylic blocks

small blocks that sit on desks etc, you can buy from simons, 15 and 20mm thick, you need a cold laminator and transparency mount film, both lion and hot press sell this

the print has to be a very glossy print for it to work well

framing pictures, yes you quite often dry mount them but not always

becareful what you dry mount onto, generally decent foamcore will work well enough, but for very very glossy prints, you need somethign smoother, like diabond
CalicoFraming
Organisation: Calico Framing
Interests: Picture framing, fine art

Re: Photo framing - help!!!

Post by CalicoFraming »

Thanks Steve that's helpful