Best tool for cutting smaller circular or oval glass

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
deepictureman
Organisation: Godmanchester Picture Framing
Interests: DIY, Picture Framing, Landscape Gardening, charity work, Local Town Council,

Best tool for cutting smaller circular or oval glass

Post by deepictureman »

I have been asked to replace two small sections of glass, one 100mm diameter and the other, oval section, measuring 210 x 262mm. What tool or technique do other members use that would cut an accurate line ( I can score and break wavy lines but there is a knack - which I haven't got, to cutting an accurate circle or oval by free hand)

Although Lion market the Oval Glass cutter, Cat No 3405, which would seem to suitable for ovals, it doesn't catewr for the smaller 100mm diameter circle required and I'm not sure about commiting £60 plus on a punt.

I'd appreciate any advice on the glass solution or might discuss cutting a perspex panel with the client.

Regards,

Dave
stcstc

Re: Best tool for cutting smaller circular or oval glass

Post by stcstc »

go to your local glass supplier get them to do it, waaaay to much faff if your not setup to do it
prospero

Post by prospero »

Depends how neat you want the edge. :? The trad technique is to score freehand and then do some radiating scores to the outside edge. Not 90deg to the curved part, but sort of shooting off like a meteorite in reverse if you get my drift. This works fine, but you do tend to get a few 'nibs' left. If the glass is to go in frame these will be covered up, but you can tidy them up a tad with a diamond pad.
Fortunately, the pieces are small so you can afford a few bog-ups. :lol:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
deepictureman
Interests: DIY, Picture Framing, Landscape Gardening, charity work, Local Town Council,

Post by deepictureman »

Thanks,

I have had a few trial runs and have managed to get a crude type of circle but there is a point when my wrist can't rotate enough to keep the cutting wheel at the optimum angle to make the score.
Has anyone used Lion's oval glass cutter and have a view on it's performance?
prospero

Post by prospero »

Try this. When you have gone as far as you can, veer off to the outside. Then rotate the glass and start another cut from the point where you diverged. Repeat until you get back to the start.

You could strap the cutter to the end of a bit of wood which is nailed to a block of wood to make a sort of crude pair of compasses. Stick the block to the glass with d/s tape to stop it slipping. Still have to do the easing scores though.
Cheaper than buying machinery which you might never use again.

Don't work for ovals though. :(
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

I have one and it works fine, just as long as you know what you are doing, when you start turn the wheel in towards the center of the circle/oval, have a bit of paper under the wheel, start to score the circle/oval and the wheel will right it self and track in an arc, just don't over score your line. Next turn the glass over, place on the bench/carpet, press down on the score line, you will see it start to shoot around the score line, just follow it around pressing with your thumb, now do as Prospero said, score some lines running from the near the edge of the circle/oval to the sides of the glass, now you should be able to snap the rest of the glass off, it's easier to show than describe.

To buy or not to buy, when was the last time you were asked to cut some circle/oval glass, if more than a year, go to the glass supplier and pay them to do it
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
deepictureman

Post by deepictureman »

Thanks Steve