Curing warped prints

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
deepictureman
Organisation: Godmanchester Picture Framing
Interests: DIY, Picture Framing, Landscape Gardening, charity work, Local Town Council,

Curing warped prints

Post by deepictureman »

A client has just brought in a, 54.0 x 44.5cm, print that was attached to the rear mount by a single length of masking tape along the top! The result is that the paper has now warped and the customer wants me to fix it. I reassured her that I would have a look and try to establish what has caused the problem but before I reply with a possible solution, could members advise if the print has now developed a 'memory' which might result in the print, even when hinged correctly, retaining the warped appearance? I have carefully removed the old masking tape and the print is now relaxing on a flat surface but I'm not sure if leaving it in a relaxed state for a few days will enable it to regain the flat profile or if some technical assistance will be required. Any suggestions?

Thanks in anticipation

Dave
prospero

Re: Curing warped prints

Post by prospero »

First of all, this is restoration. Not really in the framers remit in my book. It's a sticky path trying to do things you aren't trained for. Paper restoration is a very skilled job. Just saying, don't let the customer's problem become your problem.

In the best of all worlds you could send the piece to a restorer. Restorers charge big bucks. Unless the work is a Rembrandt ecthing or somesuch the customer is unlikely to want to spend the dosh on it. Sometimes not even then. :P

If you want to try a few 'old framers tricks' by all means do so. But do impress on the customer that you aren't a restorer and any attempts by you to flatten the print will be at their own risk. Get it in writing if poss.

One way (from this old framer) is to use a heat press. Vacuum for prefrence. Put the paper between two (clean) sheets of mountboard and put it in the press for a wee while and then either leave it under pressure but switch the heat off. Don't remove it until the press has cooled.

Of course if the waves are bad you may end up with a flat print with a very tight crease in it.

What you gotta ask yourself is: Do you feel lucky? 8)
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About