Hard Wall Picture hook dilemma

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Bella Starkey
Organisation: Art & Soul
Interests: Art, framing, gold, galleries, music

Hard Wall Picture hook dilemma

Post by Bella Starkey »

Hello,

I am having a bit of a dilemma with hanging a rather heavy large frame onto the concrete wall in my framing workshop. I have tried the four pinned hook for hard walls sold by DIY shops and Simons but they are not suitable for heavy frames. Does anyone recommend a suitable hook? Have tried drilling into the concrete, but unfortunately the plaster flakes off around it making any screw and wall plug sag down and cannot get deep enough to get a secure fit....

When trying extra strong pins and hook, i can get to about 2cm in before the pin bends and again the plaster around flakes off.

Would be extremely grateful for any suggestions or if someone could tell me I am missing a patently obvious trick!

Thank you :)
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Re: Hard Wall Picture hook dilemma

Post by David McCormack »

You may have to be resigned to drilling a deep enough hole into the concrete :head:

Buy a good quality masonry drill bit and use it with the hammer setting on your drill. Plug the hole and then repair any damaged plaster and the use one of these....

http://www.lionpic.co.uk/product/Heavy- ... 106,0.aspx

Actually for a big frame I would use two of those hooks :?

Welcome to the forum :D
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
kevin
Organisation: picture framing services
Interests: framing, photography, table tennis

Post by kevin »

Had same problem. Used 40x20mm batons along wall, level with door/windows lintels.
used Hilti Bolts shot from a Hilti-bolt gun, (hired for one day from D I Y ) shop.
I then used strong wood screws in to the batons. Good job, however I have since fitted the
j Rail System from LION onto the wood batons. Great system. It takes a while to get used to the Hilti-bolt gun, but it will drive the bolts into concrete with ease. Good luck.
Bella Starkey
Organisation: Art & Soul
Interests: Art, framing, gold, galleries, music

Post by Bella Starkey »

Thank you for your replies, very helpful :D !

Think i'm going to get a decent masonry drill bit and get those heavy duty wall hooks and hope and pray it will hold it, probably keep me awake at night wondering if its fallen down, think its a risk i'm going to have to take.

Thank you again for suggestions, good to be part of a helpful and positive forum! :sun:
All the best,
Bella
prospero

Post by prospero »

The little plastic 4-pin hooks only work on bare concrete or hard bare brickwork. Any plaster or rendering - forget it. :?

I only use them for holding up the creeper on my outside wall. :P
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About