Re-framing needlework

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
lynnbmack
Organisation: Lynn Bennett-Mackenzie
Interests: art, reading, animals, gardening, walking, photography,

Re-framing needlework

Post by lynnbmack »

Just got a job in for re-framing (not mine!)

A sampler on canvas - no mount, no backing board - back edges glued onto a piece of hardboard, not even really stretched, corners cut to ease flatness of piece so it could be crammed into the frame - any ideas how to get piece off as the glue is pretty strong - mind you I don't think the customer is fussed as long as it is re-framed, but I know it will look a whole lot better restretched nicely! I don't want to pull the piece as I think it may rip! or should I just admit defeat and frame it as is? I know the stretching will be slightly tricky with corners having been cut, but hey ho, I like a challenge! :evil:

To top it all, it had diffused glass which did the piece no favours either!
osgood

Post by osgood »

Depends on what type of glue has been used. Some glues are reversible, some are not.
Do you have a textile conservator you could send it to for evaluation?
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

If you get it removed from the board then the cut corners need not be a problem - extensions can be sewn on

Customer needs to be given options if it does not simply come away with a gentle tug - and even that can be a nightmare - it may seem that all is going well when suddenly you come across an area that seems welded on - you've started but can you finish?

Pay for someone qualified to remove it (and maybe treat it too) or not.

If you do start it but cannot finish it what do you do - glue the unstuck bits back on?
lynnbmack
Organisation: Lynn Bennett-Mackenzie
Interests: art, reading, animals, gardening, walking, photography,

Post by lynnbmack »

Thanks for your input - I tried prying an edge off very carefully - I think it was some kind of industrial strength double sided tape that was at least put on the board instead of on the piece, so I found out that it could be "re-stuck" down if one piece would'nt come off - but, thankfully got the whole lot off after patient careful peeling.

It looks so much better now with a white backing rather than brown hardboard (not even the shiny side against the fabric!!) I should be able to lace it ok so feel much better about the whole thing. It just wouldn't have looked good even being re-framed in the state it was in! :x
Spit
Organisation: Framing Mad
Interests: Framing, watercolours & CCFC

Post by Spit »

If it was tape, you could have tried lighter fluid.
http://www.classicbikeart.co.uk

Steve.
During business hours : My status
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Yeah - not the usual heavy fluid.
Spit
Organisation: Framing Mad
Interests: Framing, watercolours & CCFC

Post by Spit »

Groan............ :roll: :lol:
http://www.classicbikeart.co.uk