Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
daisy
Organisation: South Lanarkshire
Interests: Too many to mention

Re-inforced Glass

Post by daisy »

I have just received an order I placed with one of my suppliers for re-inforced glass. I had pre-cut the frame and slip so that it could be cut to exact size. It measures 145cm x 34cm. The needlework that is to go in the frame is all ready to go but heres the problem....... The glass manufacturer has etched their no and code etc 1.2cm from edge so you can see it once frame ctc is put together :roll: . If I add another slip of some description to try and hide it I will also be covering some the needlework, besides this will make the frame much wider than customer wants. Before I contact my supplier I want to know if these etchings are normal practice. I have never had any problems with my glass supplier before and this was a special order so it will be their supplier at fault.
prospero

Re: Re-inforced Glass

Post by prospero »

To me, that counts as a damaged piece. Same as a scratch. Tell them you want a replacement.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

What type/brand of glass is it....!!!!

Is it etched or printed on the code!!!
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

I suspect that the code is printed on………I’m not sure if a manufacturer would etch so close to the edge with reinforced/laminated glass as this would weaken the structure ot that type of glass….

Try rubbing the code on the glass with nail polish remover…

If the nail polish remover wont remove it, you supplier providing they knew it was for picture framing have supplied you with an unsuitable product.
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

Here in the States that is a building code requirement for exterior glass in some areas. Does your supplier know that is not being used in building construction?
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

A new one the coding for exterior glass on me Jerry, but now that you have explained it, it makes perfect sense.
daisy

Post by daisy »

Hi,

Thank you for your prompt reply's.

It is etched on and I got the glass from a picture framing suppliers so can only assume their suppliers knew what it was for...Will speak to them in the morning and hope for a quick replacement.

Daisy
Nigel Nobody

Post by Nigel Nobody »

What do you mean by 're-inforced' glass?
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

laminated glass
the glassman

Post by the glassman »

Hi ... this is a very common issue. Technically, when glass is toughened it should be identified as such by the Processors. This shows that it is toughened, by whom and to which standard. It also (should) stop some silly B trying to cut it. (It will explode into tiny pieces if you do).
All you need do to prevent a recurrence is to specify "no Kitemark" when you order. You should be able to remove the mark using 0000 grade wirewool (it won't damage the glass!).
All the best,
The Glassman
daisy

Post by daisy »

Hi all,

Thought I would fill you in on this glass situation..... Finally got it sorted. The etching would and could not be removed. My supplies supplier finally put their hands up and admitted that they had supplied the wrong glass. They had supplied it for external use and not picture framing. The new piece arrived and the etching was still there but very close to the edge so unseen once in the frame.

All this hastle delayed the framing and so I had already told the customer that I would cover the cost of the glass... good will gesture. I went to pick up the glass in person, just to make sure it was perfect (60 mile round trip) got a puncture, £103 bill from garage to repair not to mention the 2hour wait on the side of the moterway for recovery truck... seriously out of pocket for this one. I was never so happy to see it leave my workshop..

Daisy
Trinity
Organisation: Trinity Framing
Interests: Classic Tractors, Honda Blackbird, Eunos, anything with an engine

Post by Trinity »

I would guess this is laminated glass rather than toughened, in which case the markings will be either sand blasted or acid etched - it will not come off. Most glass merchants (as opposed to suppliers) will ask it's intended use and give you the option of marked / unmarked. If they don't know, they're obliged to mark just in case it's used in a door / window. The alternative you read about ,in the papers.
Do not be afraid of strangers, for thereby many have entertained angels unawares.