Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
onetopcat
Organisation: united kingdom
Interests: fishing, horse racing, charcoal drawing, reading

starting a new life!!!

Post by onetopcat »

Dear SirsLladies... I would like to start up a framing busines in France. I am a decorator by trade and am familiar with paint finishes, glazes etc and am reasonably handy with basic woodwork. I know of quite a few artists and friends in the southern part of France and would like to set up a small business there. My questions to the group which are probably very basic to you guys are as follows:- Where can I go in the UK to take a full framing course with a recommended teacher and what are the likely costs?
What start up equipment & machinery would I need and if bought in the UK would it be electrically compatible in France?
What would be the estimated cost of the machinery .... would good second hand equipment be a more advisable approach
although please take into account that I would hope to be in this for the long haul

I do not wish to take up too much of your and the Forums time but as a novice who better to ask than craftsmen like yourselves with years of experience. Thank you.
iantheframer
Organisation: is not my greatest talent!
Interests: photography

Re: starting a new life!!!

Post by iantheframer »

Hi and welcome

Are you planning on setting up a full scale business or working from your new home?

We have recently moved from the UK to Portugal, so here are a few things we have found. Electric supply in Europe is Ok although you will need to change plugs.

One thing you may need to look at (depending on you location) is the power supply in terms of reliability and rating. 15 amps are quite normal and it is easy to exceed this so your power may trip if the compressor is on at the same time as the fridge!

We resolved this by using as much manual equipment as possible and getting a power supply for the computer.

Also do some research as to the availability of materials, glass can be difficult and the choice of boards may be more limited than UK
Ian
flyingframer
Organisation: Morlaix - France
Interests: Flying

Re: starting a new life!!!

Post by flyingframer »

Hello , ONETOPCAT and welcome to the forum.
A few questions then maybe we can help you.
Where are you in UK, and we can recc. a trainer near you.
Where in France do you plan to settle, to get advice about a local distributor.
My gut feelings are its hard enough to move to a new country, but to start a biz, in a trade you do not yet know in a
strange country is taking a gamble
Do you speak fluent French?
If yes then why not learn framing in France?
Bon chance! :)