Ethics

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
prospero

Ethics

Post by prospero »

Now and again a customer will ask for something that goes completely against the grain. Case in point - Frame a poster with no glass. Protestations and warnings to no avail, they want a 4ft by 2 poster in a frame with no glazing whatsoever. Won't even countenance heatsealing. I know that the poster will start to look manky very quickly. My mention of airbourne pollutants was taken as a vague slight on the cleanliness of the house. And of course all the flies in the house wipe their feet and suffer from chronic constipation.

So what would you do?

For the record, I am doing exactly as they want. It's their $$$$$$$s.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Dermot

Re: Ethics

Post by Dermot »

A Poster !!!

How much is the poster worth !!

Business is business....I dont think with this sort of job ethics has much to do with it....
Bagpuss
Organisation: Adam The Picture Framer
Interests: TBA

Post by Bagpuss »

The customer's always right ! I know the sort, you try your best to advise them how best to frame their pride and joy, then they throw it back in your face.
I'm happy to take their money but I always wince a bit when I hand over the finished frame, such bad taste .... :puke:
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )
prospero

Post by prospero »

The poster is of no great value. And its going in quite a chunky frame, so no issues with rigidity. Funny thing is, I'm doing another one for the same people which is approx 36x30 which is having glass. That one they want in 1/2" wide frame. Oh Joy. :lol:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Gesso&Bole
Organisation: Jeremy Anderson Picture Frame Maker
Interests: Framing pictures, testing out the latest gismos, and sharing picture framing knowledge

Post by Gesso&Bole »

I give people the options, and recommend strongly what they should have, and then (within reason) do what they ask.

Had one last week where the customer wants me to convert the existing mount into a double mount. I have pointed out to her that the mount is not square, it is on carp acidic standard board, and looks as though it was cut by a blind framer with a blunt stanley knife whilst he was drunk.

Despite all my efforts to explain why it will ruin the finished article she would not agree to change the mount (not because of the extra £12, but because she bought the pic from the artist with the mount, and she sees it as part of the art) even though I can match the colour exactly.)

I've put it to the bottom of the pile for the moment . . . . . .
Jeremy (Jim) Anderson
Picture Framer and Framing Industry Educator
https://www.jeremyanderson.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/ja_picture_framer/
iantheframer
Organisation: is not my greatest talent!
Interests: photography

Post by iantheframer »

This is an issue that we have come against often, especially regarding conservation issues. E.g. a customer wants a valuable print dry mounted or straight against the glass.

We take the view that all we can do is point out the dangers and in some cases ask the customer to sign a paper stating that they have been advised that this is detrimental to the work and we are proceeding against our best advice and cannot be held accountable for any damage the artwork may suffer.

Once we refused to do a job because the picture was so valuable that it would have been criminal to do what the customer wanted.

Generally we do whatever customers ask with the above proviso because at the end of the day we need to pay the bills and it is a lost job that somebody else will make a profit from if not us
Ian
Nigel Nobody

Post by Nigel Nobody »

There has to be a recognition of decorative framing and conservation/preservation framing.
I would give the customer what they want with a poster, but if it were a limited edition or some other original art of value to the customer, there are limits to what I will do.

As far as the customer being always right, that's a popular line, but I disagree with it. 'The customer is always the customer' is about as far as I will go.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

It must be silly season again! It seems too me that these sort of wacko people come along in batches. Don't encourage then too much. They may be back for more! :shock:
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
lissyh
Organisation: Framing outlet
Interests: racing motorcycles and walking

Post by lissyh »

What more can you do??
Gesso&Bole
Organisation: Jeremy Anderson Picture Frame Maker
Interests: Framing pictures, testing out the latest gismos, and sharing picture framing knowledge

Post by Gesso&Bole »

Had one yesterday morning.

Man comes in with an oil painting on a stretched canvas. He wants a mount cut to cover the edge of the painting, and for me to stick that to the picture with permanent glue. After 10 minutes of explaining I realised I was talking to a brick wall.

I found a sheet of standard mountboard (I use this to cover the bench when I am painting or waxing) put it on the CMC cut the window mount, took £9 off him, and used the money for my lunch. I told him that he should glue the mount on the picture himself.
Jeremy (Jim) Anderson
Picture Framer and Framing Industry Educator
https://www.jeremyanderson.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/ja_picture_framer/
Nigel Nobody

Post by Nigel Nobody »

Gesso&Bole wrote: I told him that he should glue the mount on the picture himself.
I like it!
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Gesso&Bole wrote:I found a sheet of standard mountboard (I use this to cover the bench when I am painting or waxing) put it on the CMC cut the window mount, took £9 off him, and used the money for my lunch. I told him that he should glue the mount on the picture himself.
I wonder if I'm the only one who would have been tempted to ask if he would like a double mount? :giggle:

We are well supplied with "wacko" types in my part of the country and I have learnt that it pays to just do what the man asks and to gratefully accept the money.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
topbrand
Organisation: Frame-It
Interests: Work,work, framing

Post by topbrand »

I thought Ethics was a county in the south of England
mikeysaling
Organisation: sarah jane framing
Interests: astronomy medals photography

Post by mikeysaling »

topbrand wrote:I thought Ethics was a county in the south of England
certainly is - white shoes and handbags and loads o booze (and thats just the boys)

when all is said and done - there is more said than done.