Repairing Cracks in a Swept Frame

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
birdman
Organisation: Pelican Picture Framing
Interests: Getting up close and personal with Val

Repairing Cracks in a Swept Frame

Post by birdman »

We have a couple of blacK swept frames that have cracks around the decoration on the mitres. These range from noticeable to fairly fine cracks. We have tried wax filler, fine filler but because of the very clean black finish neither seems to do a very good job. Not to mention it is very finicky.

In the photo I have emphasised the fine crack with a white line because it is difficult to see in the photo.
Swept frame cracks.jpg
Swept frame cracks.jpg (47.12 KiB) Viewed 2847 times
I would probably recommend either living with it or else replacing them but swept frames seem to be in short supply and this colour and size is not available until mid November!

Does anyone have any tips or tricks for this type of repair. It has to be quick, simple and inexpensive!
Rolf Lawson GCF
“I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order.” Eric Morecambe
My status
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Re: Repairing Cracks in a Swept Frame

Post by Jonny2morsos »

Why is it these are always out of stock?

Used to push them a fair bit but now I don't bother so much due to poor availablity.

Sorry no ideas on repairs.
prospero

Post by prospero »

I don't think there is a heck of a lot you can do without resorting to re-finishing the whole thing and maybe not even then. :( Wax is about the only way.

Or you could crack the other two corners. :P
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
birdman

Post by birdman »

Now why didn't I think of that :head:
Rolf Lawson GCF
“I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order.” Eric Morecambe
My status
birdman

Post by birdman »

Funny you should mention repainting the frame Prospero. That is something we do now and again, either if we have a damaged frame or sometime if a customer wants to retain a frame but wants a different colour.

Here is a before and now photo of what was a damaged silver swept frame (it doesn't show the damaged area btw). It is work in progress but will be bronze gold with black shadows and bright highlights on the raised areas.
Frame example.jpg
Frame example.jpg (65.75 KiB) Viewed 2779 times
It is recycled and at the same time gives us practice with our hand painting and repair techniques.

Sadly, the black frame has to remain black and we haven't managed to work out how to match the finish yet so repainting is out of the question for that one.

Rolf
Rolf Lawson GCF
My status