Sellotape residue on oustide of moulding

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
Bagel Framer

Sellotape residue on oustide of moulding

Post by Bagel Framer »

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a good way to get the black, sticky sellotape residue off a moulding?

The moulding was wrapped in the fabric, but sealed at the end with sellotape - I now have to get the sellotape off the frame before delivering it.

Thanks,

Sean
prospero

Post by prospero »

It depends on the moulding and how delicate the finish is. As a general rule, try a mild solvent like white spirit first. If that doesn't shift the gunk try something a bit more powerful like celulose thinner or as a last resort, acetone, but try it out on a scrap piece first. I used to get a lot of hi-gloss
spray laquered moulding where it had been wrapped before the finish had hardened properly and the paper wrapping had stuck. The only way to remove it was using wire wool but it will leave a matt patch. Sometimes you could bring back the gloss with wax polish. The stuff for cleaning black
plastic bits on cars works well on some mouldings.
Bagel Framer

Post by Bagel Framer »

Thanks Prospero - I'll try that. The moulding's a plain wood one that's a floater frame, but the cliet has decided to use as a normal frame.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Right. 8) With unfin wood the glue will probably penetrated more but you should be able to lift the stain of with some sort of spirit. Avoid the wire wool if using spirit. It will push oily gunk into the grain.

:idea: Hydrogen Peroxide is also handy if you have dark grain patches on light wood.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

If it's finished moulding you could try this:

Heat up the Sellotape adhesive with a heat gun and while still hot rub in some rottenstone or talculm powder. Keep re-heating and rubbing in more powder, eventually it will usually become quite easy to rub it off without speading it around. The powder takes up the stickness in the adhesive. Results can depend on how old the Sellotape residual is!

Lighter fuel works well with sticky labels, but not always with Sellotape.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Get some sticky stuff remover we sell it and I use it a lot - it works and smells nice too, sort of like bubble gum.

Here's a review
osgood

Post by osgood »

By far the easiest method is to cut it of with your saw or chopper! If there is too much of it to throw away, send it back for replacement!
Roboframer

Re: Sellotape residue on oustide of moulding

Post by Roboframer »

Bagel Framer wrote:
The moulding was wrapped in the fabric, but sealed at the end with sellotape - I now have to get the sellotape off the frame before delivering it.

Sean
I missed that bit!!!

You mean it came from the supplier, in lengths; there was sellotape on the finished side and you used that part in your finished frame???

I don't get it.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Sellotape residue on oustide of moulding

Post by Not your average framer »

Roboframer wrote: I missed that bit!!!

You mean it came from the supplier, in lengths; there was sellotape on the finished side and you used that part in your finished frame???

I don't get it.
Me niether!
foxyframer
Organisation: Hampshire Framing
Interests: Golf, DIY and baking bread,cakes, biscuits and making chilli jams and various chutneys.

Post by foxyframer »

Neither do I, complete mystery.

Delivered in the length ?

Wrapped in what fabric, black sticky tape ?

Send it back Bagel, Shouldn't have to tit around with any moulding before cutting it up.

What kinda outfit is selling this sort of stuff ?
Measure twice - cut once
TTC

Post by TTC »

foxyframer wrote:Neither do I, complete mystery.

Delivered in the length ?

Wrapped in what fabric, black sticky tape ?
From reading the post I assume that the OP is referring to the residue of the sellotape adhesive that has left the black sticky mark and not the sellotape itself.

A number of the wooden matt silver mouldings which are wrapped in a white fabric are often not only sealed at the end with tape but the factory runs a length of tape the entire length of the wrapped pack to stop the fabric unwinding. In transit the fabric often does move and the tape comes into contact with the moulding.

I have found Acetone to be the best for removing this residue providing you do a spot test first. However if the marks are excessive just send the stuff back.
Bagel Framer

Post by Bagel Framer »

Thanks for the posts everyone - TTC hit the nail on the head and that's the situation I was in (ie. it was wrapped as a "wrap" in the factory and then sealed with a sellotape type tape at the end), granted it was only on a piece about the size of a 5p piece.

I got some Zest-it and that's got rid of the residue, but next time I'll either cut round it or send it back.

Thanks!
osgood

Post by osgood »

Bagel Framer wrote:it was only on a piece about the size of a 5p piece.
It's hard to believe that anyone would be concerned with cleaning some crap off a tiny weeny bit of the end of a length of moulding!

Wastage is a bigger factor than most are willing to admit. If you are allowing any less than 25%-35%, you are not allowing enough.

Inspection of every part of every length of moulding before cutting is also very important. Each time it's not inspected, there will be something wrong with it!