What is the best adhesive for hard ash mouldings?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
ComeOnYouReds!
Organisation: Our house
Interests: Trying to get it right first time.

What is the best adhesive for hard ash mouldings?

Post by ComeOnYouReds! »

I've just cut some 114 300 000 from Arqadia and it is like concrete. The mitre cuts shine, it is so hard !
I can only get 7mm wedges in, and even though I glue it all up as normal the corners are so brittle it only takes a slight knock and they crack open.
What type of glue do you use for such difficult wood?
I can drill and pin the corners, but what a faff. I had 7 frames to make..... an endless task !
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: What is the best adhesive for hard ash mouldings?

Post by Not your average framer »

You could try Araldite, but I think that it might br better to drill and pin the frames and be done with it!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

I would use a Polyurethane Wood Adhesive the type that forms an expanding foam when compressed. I think I got a few small bottles from Lion but I may be wrong. Forms a very strong bond.
AllFramed
Organisation: AllFramed
Interests: Framing, Photography, The Clarets, Chateau Musar

Post by AllFramed »

Plus one for polyurethane glue. I always use it with oak too. There are many brands available from hardware stores. Have a play before you use it on a frame, it does expand, and remember to dampen the surfaces too. It also has a shelf life after opening.
There's more to the picture, than meets the eye. Hey hey, my my.
An Old Master

Post by An Old Master »

I'm a drill and pin man. Done. Certain. Strong. Comparitively little 'faff'.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

For that one http://www.arqadia.co.uk/productdetails ... =114300000 normal wood glue and one or two 10mm V nails would be no problem here - far bigger too, and oak. Might use a band clamp on some of the deeper rebated ones. Are you using a manual underpinner?

Wenge (pronounced "Weng-eh" or "Wheng-ay" ish) - now you're talking! A customer enquired about wenge the other day - I had just two, not solid wenge just wenge effect (very dark, almost black) so said I'd send for some samples from Lion, who do loads of wenge including solid unfinished wenge, which I'd never tried. Had a go at cutting/joining them on the Morso/Euro - no way! 30x15mm one was £8 per metre too.
prospero

Post by prospero »

You should be able to get a 10mm wedge in. Don't go too near the outside.

PU glue and epoxy can expand and generally wriggle about when they are setting. So clamping is a good idea. But that's quite a lot of faff.
If the frame is smallish, I would use PVA and a 10mm wedge.

If it's very dense, drill a few little shallow holes in the face of the mitres for the glue to ooze into.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About