PENCIL DRAWING

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
DEEPJOY
Organisation: inPicture Framing
Interests: Framing, Photography, Aircooled VW and time to be creative.

PENCIL DRAWING

Post by DEEPJOY »

Hi Yall

Customer has give me 4 x pencil drawings which have been badly framed in Ikea frames. As a result the paper has crinkled somewhat. The brief is to re-frame with a request to get the crinkles out. I have suggested that once stuck down they are stuck for good and she is ok with this.

On the basis of the above, I was going to use that sticky board but the technique of application will end up with a gloved palm or a roller being moved across the artwork. Will this smudge the pencil lines? Would it be better to Hot Press them down to a suitable board, this way it will be the vacuum creating the pressure / downforce?
mho
Organisation: Valley Photo Print & Picture Framing
Interests: Photography, F1, Films, Music.

Re: PENCIL DRAWING

Post by mho »

One thing to watch for is, depending upon how much the paper is crinkled and how big the print is, you may not be able to totally flatten the paper and may end up with a crease or bubble. Its worse on bad crinkled large prints, on a small print you maybe ok.
theframer
Organisation: Icon Framers Ltd
Interests: football,fishing

Post by theframer »

If you have a hot press with a glass top, what i do is put it in the press just on top of card and clear release paper on top so i can see through it and put the press on without adhesive and watch it normaly you can see what is happening with the creases if it looks like they are going to fold in the creased position i will stop the press. but nearly always pull out ok.
Dave
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Sticking it down onto stickboard may make it worse, as if the paper is wrinkled then its not flat so it won't stick to a flat serface. A hot press would be best, you may just be able to flatten it without a board. Failing that it needs to be stuck to heat activated board (if the customer wants to go down this route). The best way to do this is to attempt to get it flat just in the hot press with heat then let the press cool completely and then press from cold allowing the press to heat up as it presses. This way the glue will not be activated straight away and the paper will have a chance to creep and flatten before the glue is activated. :D
prospero

Post by prospero »

Don't stray from FRAMING to RESTORATION unless you are a restorer. It's a framer's job to preserve things, not to improve them. :wink:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

If it was me i would only put them in the press to try and flatten them and not stick them down. But even so they will probably still wrinkle.
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

Mist with water to dampen slightly. Place between two sheets of mountboard and put a weight on top. Leave for 24 hours. Probably work, might damage beyond repair.

Or send off to a paper conservator to be found at http://www.conservationregister.com/
DEEPJOY
Organisation: inPicture Framing
Interests: Framing, Photography, Aircooled VW and time to be creative.

Post by DEEPJOY »

I think I like Prospero's answer best.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

The sticky boards aren't much cop, PMA is far better but with either you wouldn't want to have "a gloved palm or a roller being moved across the artwork" You'd apply pressure through release paper, which PMA comes with, plus a spatula for applying pressure, better than a roller.

I wouldn't mess with misting with water and putting between two sheets of mount board either; what I MIGHT mess with is putting artwork between two sheets of damp acid free blotting paper and putting that between two sheets of glass with plenty of weight on top, replacing damp blotting paper with dry until it does not get damp any more.

I think first of all though I'd suggest to the customer to wait a good few months and see how they behave after being properly mounted.