Help! Has anyone mounted synthetic "canvas" before?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
jolenje
Organisation: Picture It
Interests: Anything Art and Design!

Help! Has anyone mounted synthetic "canvas" before?

Post by jolenje »

Hi all! I am a picture framer from Australia. Occasionally we get people bringing in these cheap oil paintings from their overseas travels. They are painted onto some sort of synthetic "canvas" substitute. It is woven, and is fairly unpredictable to glue down, and I have had a few bubble after drying as the material isn't porous enough. Stretching over a bar isn't possible as the don't leave enough selvidge around the edge to grab and wrap around the bar. Besides refusing to do the job, I am at a loss as to how to tackle this type of project...Any advice would be appreciated.
Graysalchemy

Re: Help! Has anyone mounted synthetic "canvas" before?

Post by Graysalchemy »

Are you talking about those from China? They usually stretch really well, better than the bed sheets from Africa or the Caribbean. If stretching is out of the question ( I usually tell the customer if they want it stretching then they are going to lose some of the picture end of) put it in a hot press that works fine but make sure you use a thick foam blanket over the top and use dry mount film not tissue. Its not with out its problems then heavy use of paint can get flattened a bit hence using a blanket to cushion it.
jolenje
Organisation: Picture It
Interests: Anything Art and Design!

Post by jolenje »

Thanks Greysalchemy,
The particular one I have in at the moment has very little in the way of edging, so stretching is out of the question...
We don't have a hot press either...
Bugger...
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

What type of glue have you tried gluing it with?
Otters Pool Studio
Organisation: Otters Pool Studio
Interests: Hobbies?

Post by Otters Pool Studio »

Normally with those, the signature is well in from the corner of the picture as they are designed to be stretched with the image wrapping around the sides.
Jon.
Otters Pool Studio
prospero

Post by prospero »

I don't think I have seen any of this type of canvas. But I would be quite happy with about 1/2" min to staple to. Not ideal, but workable. If you use keyed bars then you don't need to get a lot of purchase on the edge. Just get in mounted evenly and as tight as you can and when it all fixed give the keys a quick tap. I would use a few extra staples and space them closer together than usual.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About