How to mount a LP, and sleeve and frame using double mount

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
deepictureman
Organisation: Godmanchester Picture Framing
Interests: DIY, Picture Framing, Landscape Gardening, charity work, Local Town Council,

How to mount a LP, and sleeve and frame using double mount

Post by deepictureman »

I have been asked to mount a signed LP with ther Sleeve to be mounted above it as a double mount. I have done double mounts with no difficulty but would appreciate advice as to how mount the LP. I have got some clear plastic holders from Lion that could support the LP at the circumference but am thinking that a plastic fitting in the centre hole of the LP would be better aesthetically.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

D :?:
realhotglass
Organisation: Tudor Glass - Kiln formed glass
Interests: Bushwalking, skiing, 4WDing, photography, PDR (Paintless Dent Removal)

Post by realhotglass »

dpm,

Try auto parts suppliers for the trim type retainers used to hold trim panels etc in motor vehicles.
They push in and should be available in a suitable size / colour.

There is a myriad of such fittings used in car making that may suit.

Alternatively, a nut / bolt supplier may have something like a threaded plain headed tank bolt you could use with a nut and washer behind.

The acrylic side clips that Lion have should be quite fine too (2772 packed up behind to the 7mm, or even the 2769 plate holder), just use them at say 1/3 rds around the LP, with one at 12 o'clock high.

Be sure to use UV blocking glass (or acrylic if you must) as these clips are supposedly prone to breakdown from UV light over a relatively short time.
Regards,
Les

............Oooo
oooO.....(....)
(....)........)../
.\..(........(_/
..\_)

"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time."
deepictureman
Interests: DIY, Picture Framing, Landscape Gardening, charity work, Local Town Council,

LP mount advice

Post by deepictureman »

Thanks Les,

I had considered using the plastic dome headed bolts for number plates but didn't feel comfortable with the slots. (bit agricultural?). The advantage of using the centre hole is that you only have to position one hole in the mount board rather than three clips. I wasn't aware of the UV aspect with the clips so excellent advice.

Thanks,

Dave
Spit
Organisation: Framing Mad
Interests: Framing, watercolours & CCFC

Re: LP mount advice

Post by Spit »

I think it's safer to use the clips as the disc needs to be well supported at the edges to prevent warping.

One suggestion I've heard before is not to frame the actual item, but to print out a copy of the label and stick it on a worthless disc and frame that instead - the original should really be kept in its sleeve in proper storage.
http://www.classicbikeart.co.uk

Steve.
During business hours : My status
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Hi Deeppictureman,

What you need to do is cut 4 bits of mounts to total size of the finshed glass size. Starting from the bottom of the pile is a (A)mount that has no windows ( this is the backing) next mount (B) up cut two windows, one for the LP and the other for the sleeve, BUT the size of these windows are the exact size +1mm of the LP and the sleeve (the one for the LP should be a circle ), Glue this mount to the bottom mount (A). Now cut the top two mount as you would normaly cut a double mount ( with the windows just smaller than the LP and the sleeve. Put the LP and sleeve into the windows you cut in mount (B), now glue or stick(optional, in case the customer needs to take the LP out) the top double mount over the LP and sleeve. Finished, you now have a LP and sleeve mounted up with no fixtures or fitting or glue being use. I have used this technique many time, and it works for me.
Hope this helps

Steve N
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
deepictureman

double mounting of LP and Sleeve

Post by deepictureman »

Thanks Steve,
Excellent idea to reduce the front mountboard to trap the subject item. Is there any risk of damage to the LP due to UV light? I'm not sure whether to use UV filtered glass/perspex.

Regards,

Dave
realhotglass
Organisation: Tudor Glass - Kiln formed glass
Interests: Bushwalking, skiing, 4WDing, photography, PDR (Paintless Dent Removal)

Post by realhotglass »

Dave,

I'm not sure about the album itself, probably more susceptible to heat, and this shouldn't be as issue in normal home hanging display locations (watch out for nearby fireplaces, heaters, etc).

Are lp's some form of plastic, prone to becoming brittle with UV over time, as opposed bakerlite (sp?) type material on older ones ?

The sleeve however (if you mean album cover) is very possibly susceptible to UV light . . . one can't be sure with older pigments, some of them are good, but why risk it, UV glaze to be sure.

** I just re-read your original post, and the lp + cover are both signed too ?
Many markers are prone to fading, certainly plain permanent texta will fade very fast with UV exposure.
Some proper signature pens / markers are UV stable, available through speciality store like scrapbooking etc.

Certainly you can UV glaze regardless, simply to offer the best protection possible for the project. (All dependent on clients desire for long term preservation, of course.)
Regards,
Les

............Oooo
oooO.....(....)
(....)........)../
.\..(........(_/
..\_)

"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time."
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Hi Dave,
I agree with Realhotglass, use UV glass to be on the safe side.

Steve
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
The Jolly Good Framer #1

Post by The Jolly Good Framer #1 »

Depending on the value of the record and the customers budget, you could just fix it on with clear silicone. That would be a quick and easy method. But you would need to ok this with your customer before sticking.

The vinyl record should be ok with the UV light as after all sign makers use vinyl all the time. But if it was me, anything that might fade (the sleeve for instance) should have UV reflecting glass (and as a bonus you can tell your customer how wonderful the glass is and then bump up the price and make a bit more profit :wink: ).

John
Moglet
Organisation: An Urban Myth
Interests: I'll let you know if I get my life back.

Post by Moglet »

What a jolly good suggestion, John! :wink: :)
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Image .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.
osgood

Post by osgood »

The Jolly Good Framer #1 wrote:Depending on the value of the record and the customers budget, you could just fix it on with clear silicone.
I wouldn't recommend using silicone even if the record had no value and the customer had no budget!

The solution that Steve N proposed is very simple, easy to do and will not affect the record in any way and is totally reversible. Most of those steps would need to be done if silicone were used anyway, so there's no point in complicating it by using any type of glue on the record.

Perhaps we all should have a 10 foot sign in our shops to keep reminding us, until it is as firmly embedded in our minds as breathing is - "If it can't be reversed - DON'T BLOODY DO IT". A very simple and worthwhile motto, I think!
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

The Jolly Good Framer #1 wrote:The vinyl record should be ok with the UV light as after all sign makers use vinyl all the time.
The vinyl used by sign makers would no doubt include UV inhibitors a vinyl record might have different requirements to take into account playing and wear characteristics, such as surface noise, etc. This might be of importance with picture discs and of course not forgeting the paper label in the centre.

In the absence of clear information regarding the presence of UV inhibitors and the unknown fading characteristics of the label, it makes sense to advise the customer on the case for considering UV glass. Especially as we've all probably got left-over bits of CC glass big enough to do it
The Jolly Good Framer #1

Post by The Jolly Good Framer #1 »

Please don’t get me wrong. If Mrs Customer came in my shop and wanted to frame a valueless LP as cheep as possible, I would consider using silicone as it would be very quick to do (and after all the most expensive part of the framing is my time and it would use the least amount of materials). But if Mrs Customer came in with the same LP as we have all been talking about I would use a conservation method.

It is all about framing for the customer. It could be that the LP was picked up at a boot sale for 20p, then framed for £20, hung on the wall for 1 year an then put in the bin for the rest of eternity after Mrs Customer has got bored with it.

Horses for courses and all that :)
deepictureman

double mount of LP and sleeve

Post by deepictureman »

Thanks all for your input. As the customer in this case has great affection for his 'piece of music history - Brothers in Arms by Dire Straits' I'll use UV glass as it will also protect the artist's signatures on the sleeve.

Many thanks to all

Regards,

Dave