Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
The Crofter
Organisation: Sutherland Arts & Crafts
Interests: Photography

Small quantities of mountboard

Post by The Crofter »

I currently use Lion exclusively for all my supplies but the minimum order of 20 mountboard sheets is getting out of hand. For example I needed one sheet of mountboard for an order but had to make this up to 20 with Art-Bak. Although I ended up with 13 sheets of Art-bak + 1 mountboard (don't ask) this is not standard policy so I doubt it will happen again.

I fully appreciate that a single sheet of anything will not survive the gentle handling of our wonderfull carriers... but I would have thought that say 8 sheets sandwiched between 2 sheets of mdf (see, there is a use for it !) and boxed would probably travel quite well.

Anyway my question is do other suppliers have a lower minimum order quantity ?.
Pat
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I think Neilsen is 10 by carrier and they can be mixed. You make me realise how lucky I am - I'm on their van route - they'll send just one sheet and nothing else with no carriage charge.

Maybe not if I made a habit of it though!
lynnbmack
Organisation: Lynn Bennett-Mackenzie
Interests: art, reading, animals, gardening, walking, photography,

Post by lynnbmack »

Neilsen's min order is 10 shts - but occasionally will send a back order with just 2 or 3 sheets - well wrapped in poly bag and heavy card - 20 shts is a lot to order at once - then you find you need another colour and have to order more - 10 is much more manageable!
Grahame Case

Post by Grahame Case »

try AHS sisslings (radius mouldings) in Darlington

they ship out single and mixed sheets by carrier, they deal with Daler, Bainbridge, Britannia, colourmount, and Arqadia

if you want further details Pat, please pm me. and i'll provide them
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Not mentioning any names, but not all suppliers charge the same for carriage. Sometimes this can make one sheet of mountboard a bit expensive!

I had to make up an order with two packs of 5 sheet to go with the one sheet I wanted and had it sent on 24 hour delivery and they never sent the one I wanted and charged me £20 for 24 hour delivery, (Shafted!) I did not need the other 10 sheets which are still in the box. Thanks for nothing!

They phoned the following day to say that they had not sent it, so I had to order a full pack just for one sheet from elsewhere again on 24 hour delivery and I missed my promised deadline for a customer's important occasion.

The company in question is about to see a big drop in orders, I can do without being let down like that and pay thrugh the nose for the priviledge. THEY'VE BLOWN IT! In future, I will rely much more upon van run deliveries from other suppliers.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Van runs are great

I've got Neilsen, Glass & Mirror and Wessex - I've hardly looked at Wessex's range of mouldings (Frinton etc) but with the sudden and massive price increases from one of my main suppliers and regular out of stocks, snotwood and finger jointed pine from another, it's about time I had a browse. Missed that opportunity at the Spring Fair - I've only ever used Wessex for the odd print and a few bits of glass if I needed some at the same time/to make the print delivery worthwhile.

I asked someone high up in Simons at the fair "Why does your van not come this far?"

"Oh - too far; not enough customers in the area"

"OK - well Neilsen are north of you, maybe their van could make a small detour and you could put my stuff on it!"

That went down well!
georgeh

Post by georgeh »

Ordering mountboard in Malaysia is a real headache for me minimum order is a carton of 30 sheets which I have to order from Kuala Lumpur, delivery is 2 weeks by ship via Singapore, initially the wrapping was brown paper, the bottom 2 or 3 inches had to be trimmed due to the dampness, now have them wrap in plastic sheeting, major step forward.

You really have to look ahead with the orders, it's the same old rust bucket the freight company use , i usually go into town see it docking and being offloaded then wait for another couple of days for the stuff to clear customs and the shipping agents.

What I would give for Lion to open a branch in Sarawak!