PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Lilivale
Organisation: South Wales
Interests: Fair weather golfing

Glass Prices/Suppliers in Cardiff/South Wales

Post by Lilivale »

Hi all,

First post :D. Being relatively new to framing (another one!) and still being a bit wet behind the ears, I was hoping that someone could help me out please? I have undergone some formal training and after practising (and practising) mountcutting and frame assembly felt the need to complete the frames with some glass. I'm under no pressure as it's just for me and not a customer. All the big glass companies I have come across mentioned on here and seen recommended don't seem to deliver to Cardiff/South Wales or are pick up only?

So to satisfy my need to glaze my pieces there and then I went to a local glass merchants (no names) to purchase some 2mm float. I bought a sheet of stock 4' by 3' cut into 4 smaller sheets which cost me £31.34. At the time I didn't question the cost as the need far outweighed the cost but in restrospect and after reading some trade catalogues I think I can get it cheaper elsewhere? Hopefully?

Please can someone guide me on the the sort of price I should be paying (or was that about right?) and any suppliers that deal with South Wales either to pick up or deliver. I do not want to stock lots of it at any one time as I'm framing just for myself and family and of course the love of it.

Thanks for a great forum

Kind Regards
Roboframer

Re: Glass Prices/Suppliers in Cardiff/South Wales

Post by Roboframer »

It looks like Wessex covers Cardiff from their Bournemouth branch and you shouldn't be paying more than 4 or 5 quid a sheet - obviously more if cut in to smaller sheets, but nothing like as much as you paid as an end user.

http://www.wessexpictures.com/bournemouth.html
Lilivale
Organisation: South Wales
Interests: Fair weather golfing

Post by Lilivale »

Thank you for your kind reply. There's a bit of a price difference there!! I will give them a try and hopefully it'll save me a few pennies to spend on other framing accessories.

Regards
emeraldart
Organisation: Cork
Interests: Sailing, Cycling, Hill walking

Post by emeraldart »

If I get glass cut to size it costs about €21 per square metre at a glass merchants. I can by 3ft X 4ft sheets for about €7 per sheet. ( a bit bigger than a square metre) if I buy ten or more sheets or can have 30 sheets delivered for €200. I know im not i South Wales but hope this put some perspective on the subject.
Philip
Johnson_M
Organisation: WallSpace Picture Framers
Interests: An unhealthy obsession with frames, mounts and anything and everything relating to framing, mounting and fine art printing. I am also a bit of a geek when it comes to computers, especially involving our Valiani CMC and designing websites relating to photo frames.

Post by Johnson_M »

Have you tried KC Glass? - They've always been really helpful to us.

Not sure whether they'll have minimum order quantities for delivery but definitely worth a phone call. Ask for Dennis or Mike.
Nigel Nobody

Post by Nigel Nobody »

If you only buy one sheet, cut into smaller pieces that would make it a retail sale, not a wholesale or bulk sale.

In this part of the world a wholesale sale is 30 sheets at a time. I have a supplier from Brisbane who delivers and puts the glass into my rack and comes here every three or four weeks, I only buy clear glass 30 sheets at a time now. Several years ago I always bought 100 - 150 sheets at a time because delivery wasn't so regular.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Wessex would probably deliver half a dozen sheets. If you could combine this with an order for anything else you need, so much the better. :D
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
framemaker

Post by framemaker »

Hi Lilivale,

There used to be a company called Solid Glass who had a branch in Bristol, could be worth seeing if they are still about and deliver to your area. Do Welsh Framing Supplies not deliver to where you are in South Wales?
Keith Hewitt
Organisation: www.keithhewitt.co.uk
Interests: Badminton, golf, gym, and exploring new places.

Post by Keith Hewitt »

Try Bristol Framing Supplies
Tel 0117 957 4457

Richard Broome

They are prob your nearest :)

http://www.bristolframingsupplies.co.uk/index.html

It says they stock glass

They are prob your nearest :)
Keith Hewitt
I have visited distributors and framers in 90 countries - no two are the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XtrrWooYdg
WelshFramer
Organisation: Neuadd Bwll Framing
Interests: Does running a framing business leave any time for interests?

Post by WelshFramer »

You could try Welsh Framing Supplies (http://welshframingsupplies.co.uk/). They deliver to Cardiff every Wednesday or Thursday (not sure which).

They will deliver a single sheet of glass with no delivery charge so long as the total order is over £75 (Minimum delivery order is £35). They will also deliver single lengths of moulding and single sheets of mountboard.

I buy most of my Simons and Arqadia mouldings from them a they will order just a length or two of anything they don't stock and I know (within a few minutes) exactly when it will be delivered - it's always 6.15 a.m. on a Wednesday morning.
Mike Cotterell
Neuadd Bwll Framing

http://www.welshframing.com
My status
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

You could approach a local framer and ask if they will supply you with glass and maybe even mouldings.

I am happy to supply home based framers if they ask me and that is how I started. In most cases the more they buy the better price they get it at for their own jobs. As an example I just supplied 50 sheets of mountboard to a couple of local pro. photographers at pretty much cost but by doing so I was able to bump up my order for an extra 10% discount on my stock.