self adhesive boards

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Steve Goodall wrote:
Reference PMA... Made by 3M. Only available up to 16" wide. Designed for "office applications" rather than professional use. Hot Press do a product called Double sided mount film - available upto 51" wide - again - ask them for a sample...
Welcome to the forum Steve - I've found PMA excellent for certain applications and that laminated map is one of them.

It comes 24" wide too, so there!
Moglet
Organisation: An Urban Myth
Interests: I'll let you know if I get my life back.

Post by Moglet »

Hi Steve, and welcome to you. :)

Regarding "Stikiboard", how does it perform over time (reference the 'bubbling' problems mentioned earlier)? Also, does it need heavy pressure (e.g. press/roller) to fully activate it?
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Image .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.
Steve Goodall
Organisation: Wessex Pictures Group
Interests: Gothic Punk / Man City / Photography...

Post by Steve Goodall »

Hey John & Mogs - one more before bed time...

I used to use PMA many years ago for my photographic work & it was OK - it actually likes "plasticy" surfaces better than "papery" ones. Papery surfaces have the effect of "drying the glue out" over long periods where the plasticy surfaces (like the polyprop found on the back of photos or indeed encapsulated maps) seems to work in harmony with the PMA.

As for the Stikiboard - It is "very sticky" - it can be applied by "hand" or "hand roller" pressure - but to save the nightmare scenario of it "going wrong" halfway through - I always suggest a proper roller laminator. They are "cheap as chips" these days / last forever (if loved & cared for) & yes John - "they are made by lots of different companies" :winky: When it comes to longevity - the rule is if it goes down properly it should not bubble in the future. Very adverse conditions such as extreme dampness or extreme cold could cause the glue to fail over time but probably the worst thing that you can do to a stiky board is to put it into a very windy environment - without the protection of a frame around the edge. "Windsheer" can cause the edges of boards to "dry out" & cause the image to lift - but this is very rare & we would always reccomend a frame - wouldn't we???

One common misconception about cold adhesives or pressure sensitive adhesives as they should be called is... "If it gets hot - will it dry out"??? All the different types of stikiboatd I have tested over the years actually become stronger with the addition of heat as this activates the "tackifiers" (tech term) within the glue & makes them grip more aggresively.

and finally... 24" hey??? Still doesn't beat 51" though does it John (ha ha).

Off to bed now - Good nite John Boy - Good nite Mary Ellen - Good nite Granma (Oh shut up)...
Your too late I'm afraid - I retired in April 2024 :sun:
Moglet
Organisation: An Urban Myth
Interests: I'll let you know if I get my life back.

Post by Moglet »

Steve Goodall wrote:and finally... 24" hey??? Still doesn't beat 51" though does it John (ha ha).
What is this preoccupation that men seem to have with the length of things?? :?

Thanks for the additional info, Steve! :)
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Image .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.
osgood

Post by osgood »

Moglet wrote: What is this preoccupation that men seem to have with the length of things?? :?
Wasn't it 'width' Steve was referring to?

Only some men have an obsession! Others only dream!