Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
baughen
Organisation: Cliff Baughen
Interests: Photography, Picture framing

Pistorius vn-m nails

Post by baughen »

I recently posted requesting if anyone had an instruction manual for the Pistorius VN-M underpinner. Whilst the replies produced some documentation unfortunately they are not detailed enough for me.
I've now started to play with the machine. The previous owner had used some larger nails and there were some still in the machine. I tried this on a sample piece and it worked. However it was evident that these nails were going to be too big for the work I wanted to complete. The owner had also supplied a box of smaller nails. It wasn't clear how to get the larger ones out. Eventually I seemed to have cleared them out. I then put in the new smaller nails. Unfortuantely I don't seem to be getting the nails through. Should there be an extra strip of metal to hold the nails down (allowing for the difference in height of the nails) or is there some adjustment that needs to be made (and if so how)? I would be grateful for any advise.

Thanks in anticipation.

Cliff
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Re: Pistorius vn-m nails

Post by David McCormack »

You could see if Ricky can help on this problem as he may have the same model, see this thread:

http://theframersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4778

Have you tried to contact Pistorius to see if they have a copy of your instruction manual?

sales@pistorius.com
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
baughen

Post by baughen »

I did try to contact the Pistorius address but have received no response.

Thanks
Cliff
Martin Harrold
Organisation: MD of Lion / Member of Executive of FATG
Interests: Developing the business, making our customers happy, skiing, racing my 2CV, enjoying two wonderful grandchildren, etc . . .

Post by Martin Harrold »

Inmes Type P wedges for Pistorius

The Pistorius is an excellent underpinner, but sadly, the USA manufacturer is no more.

If anyone needs parts, we have some good connections in USA and can probably help. But, response may not be rapid and carriage costs on small parts can be quite high. I will check on instruction manuals and parts diagrams.

The Pistorius wedges (v-nails) are similar to, but not the same, as normal Inmes Type UNI format. Inmes are now also very active in the USA market and have produced a new range of wedges to exactly match the original Pistorius specification. These are known as Inmes Type P, and will be available in Normal and Hardwood in normal sizes. I know that some are en-route to Lion but we await an ETA.

To ensure best response, if you want to make an enquiry about Pistorius, please send me a PM.
Martin Harrold
md LION PFS Ltd
m 07973 303982
Ricky
Organisation: Barnard Castle Framers.
Interests: Art, Photography,Ceramics,
Restoration.Horses.

Post by Ricky »

for forum.jpg
for forum.jpg (105.67 KiB) Viewed 7174 times
Hope you can understand this, once you get to know the machine its fairly basic and there's not a lot to go wrong. also in front of the adjustment bolt there is a block that holds the hammer in place, you can just see it in the picture, this also has two screws in don't loosen those.
But at the front of that block there two holes that can be uses to clear any wedges that may get jammed or just to push the wedges
along to get them out, i use the long end of a thin allen key :D all in all its a great machine built to last and it has very few problems I use
cassese uni wedges both hardwood & soft wood
baughen

Post by baughen »

Ricky,
Thanks very much for this and for responding. It is very useful.
I took the 2 screws out and tried to adjust the plate but the screws seemed as though they would only go in the original location. As you are aware space is very confined and it is difficult to see. I've posted a photo with the plate removed. Is the screw next to these supposed to be loosened so that the plate goes up (for my smaller nails)?

Also, what regular maintenance do you do on your machine e.g. oiling any parts ?

Thanks
Cliff
Attachments
Pistorius mechanics 1 .jpg
Pistorius mechanics 1 .jpg (196.48 KiB) Viewed 7129 times
Ricky
Organisation: Barnard Castle Framers.
Interests: Art, Photography,Ceramics,
Restoration.Horses.

Post by Ricky »

You don't have to remove the plate just loosen the Screws & the whole ledge that you put your v nails on should move up & down,
It can be a bit stiff, once you have your nails in place just push he arm up until your nails touch the underside of the base plate & re-tighten the screws reset your sliding v nail tensioner the push your hammer up by hand to make sure your nails are coming up smoothly
if you need to talk give me a ring number on website.
baughen

Post by baughen »

Thanks Ricky. Sorted at last. It took a nudge from a rubber headed hammer to move the block. It took a lot of trial and error to get the hammer working to the right depth.
Thanks again.

Cliff
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

I know this is sorted, but silicon spray is your freind.